Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 625363 times)

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3080 on: 21 January 2021, 01:16 »
I do keep thinking of doing similar.  :smiley:

It was well worth the long drive there and back, its like driving a different GTi now

e2a: the RTech visit was worth it for the new injectors and valve cleaning alone!
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 04:27 by ramrod »
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3081 on: 21 January 2021, 04:33 »
driver side window motor decided to stop working, had a quick look on ebay but couldnt find the right one so bit the bullet and forked out for a brand new one, there goes this months cocaine binge fund 
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3082 on: 25 January 2021, 10:38 »
replaced my non sequential depo rear led tail lights for tinted vland sequential rear lights, looks the business now, just waiting for delivery of my mk 7.5 style headlights now :laugh:
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3083 on: 29 January 2021, 13:31 »
I just cannot bring myself to fit sequential lights as the council depo is just down the road from me and all the new street cleaners and bin lorries have sequential led lights.  :laugh:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3084 on: 30 January 2021, 23:14 »
I just cannot bring myself to fit sequential lights as the council depo is just down the road from me and all the new street cleaners and bin lorries have sequential led lights.  :laugh:

:grin: today i put on my rear deflectors smoked honeycomb vinyl covers on from badgeskins
« Last Edit: 30 January 2021, 23:18 by ramrod »
Mk6 Gti - current daily

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3085 on: 21 February 2021, 10:45 »
I got new tyres. Pilot Sport 4. I've had them on for a while now but only just managed to take them out for a good drive. Previous owner had put on on some Goodyear EfficientGrip which were nearing the end of their life. It's the first time I've upgraded my tyres on a car. I also got the tracking done at the same time. I can't believe how much different it makes! Really fun to drive now.

The tyre ship annoyingly has put silver weights on my Monzas and hasn't even hidden them behind the "spoke". I might have to paint them black as I don't think I should move them myself. Not sure why they couldn't put them a few cm to the left where they would be hidden.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Garhan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3086 on: 21 February 2021, 12:54 »
I know from experience that,if you want black weights you’ll have to ask and,most places will have to order them in.
As for the position,if they put them in any other position than what the machine says,they will be out of balance.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3087 on: 21 February 2021, 13:10 »
I know from experience that,if you want black weights you’ll have to ask and,most places will have to order them in.
As for the position,if they put them in any other position than what the machine says,they will be out of balance.

When I had new tyres fitted last year, I asked the tyre fitting place I went to if they would fit non-corroding weights, as I think that rusty balance weights look unsightly. The weights they fitted look as if they’re zinc plated, so I’m hoping they’ll be a bit more resistant to corrosion than the ‘standard’ weights are. Time will tell............

Agree that removing the weights and re-positioning them behind the spokes wouldn’t work as the wheels would no longer be balanced. @Borbus; paint them black if you want to conceal them.

Interestingly, when the wheel barrels of VW’s factory wheels are black, VW don’t fit black balance weights in the factory either - the weights they use are a very light grey colour. They are pretty resistant to corrosion though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3088 on: 21 February 2021, 13:16 »
I didn't even think about the weights when I took them in. Also it's the first wheels I've had where the barrel is so exposed. Live and learn! Next time I'll ask if they can use in-colour weights.

I didn't think about rusting either. I'll paint them and hopefully that will stop any rust too (or at least conceal it).
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
« Reply #3089 on: 02 March 2021, 02:20 »

my GTi is now a bin lorry :laugh:
Mk6 Gti - current daily