Author Topic: paint shade?  (Read 9311 times)

Offline gazareth

• I live here
paint shade?
« on: 26 July 2015, 12:55 »
hey guys I have been in to the paintshop this Saturday inquiring about the ln6v jade green paint which turns out to have 3 slightly different shades :huh: so is there anyway to know which shade I need without physically matching it up? cheers

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: paint shade?
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2015, 12:35 »
I think that's fairly normal and yes you would need to physically see it. Where's Thom89? :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2015, 21:03 »
cheers jv. I ended up going for the middle one of the 3 shades. that way if its not bang on colour match then at least it won't be more than one shade out :smiley:

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2015, 20:08 »
I think that's fairly normal and yes you would need to physically see it. Where's Thom89? :)

Here Sir! Here Sir! :grin:

I picked the "Light shade" (L) when I painted my car, and it matched the door shuts perfectly as they were original factory paint, and unfaded by UV It also give the car a nice crisp look to it, rather than a dirty metallic hue...

Thom
« Last Edit: 03 August 2015, 20:21 by Thom89 »

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2015, 18:48 »
crikey there is some shine of that car :shocked:. It is actually a couple of aerosol cans I bought just to tidy car up a bit. went for middle shade(ref ve8676) so hopefully it will match. if not exact then its still better than the rust :smiley:

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2015, 17:16 »
I had some atlas grey mixed up in aerosols and the paint supplier used a tool which scanned the paint then shaded it. Looked spot on until I put lacquer on then it was a shade too dark.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2015, 01:11 »
I had some atlas grey mixed up in aerosols and the paint supplier used a tool which scanned the paint then shaded it. Looked spot on until I put lacquer on then it was a shade too dark.

A heavy or light application can vary the shade out of same tin. a few heavy wet coats can lead to a darker shade, while light dry coats can give can "Float" the aluminium flecks and make them more visible and reflecting more light, making the shade appear "Lighter"
Lacquer applied too heavily can also change the shade, usually darker. most will try and achieve a glossy finish with an aerosol, and put it on heavy.... Light even coats with 5 to 7 mins between coats is the way to get a colour match, the gloss will easily come with a bit of elbow grease

Thom