Author Topic: Art Velour Seats - Cleaning & Protecting  (Read 8354 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Art Velour Seats - Cleaning & Protecting
« on: 27 March 2021, 18:54 »
Hi, all.

Can anyone recommend a product I could use on the ClubSport Art Velours seats?  Cleaning isn't really necessary yet but I would like to seal/protect them.  Will a regular cloth product work or should I be looking towards something suited for alcantara and the like?

« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 20:36 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Re: Art Velours Seats - Cleaning & Protecting
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2021, 18:44 »
Jeez, this place is quiet!   :smiley:

I also struggled to get a response on this from Detailing World, as I guess not many have encountered the Art Velour seats yet.

I decided to try some CarPro Inside, as it is a dedicated interior cleaner, more gentle than an APC, gentle enough for leather and there are many reviews saying that it's good for different types of fabrics, vinyl and pretty much all interior surfaces, though I will only use it for spot-cleaning seats and arm-rests.  my main concern is the alcantara type material on the main panels. 

I picked up a Swissvax Leather brush - https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/collections/swissvax/products/swissvax-interior-cleaning-brush - that seems really soft and great quality, so will give it a shot with that and a diluted 1:5 mixture of the CarPro Inside at some point and report back.

I would like to find a sealant that will offer protection from liquid as well as UV.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 18:59 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2021, 19:05 »
Some gtechniq smart fabric? That's what I would go for.

Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2021, 19:21 »
Some gtechniq smart fabric? That's what I would go for.
Never used it but heard it's good.  Will that be ok for the Alcantara, JV?
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2021, 19:43 »
Yeah, I know it sounds all exotic but it is still 'fabric' :)
Buy site stuff!

Forum Charity

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2021, 20:23 »
Yeah, I know it sounds all exotic but it is still 'fabric' :)
Sure, but, as I am quite new to detailing, it's hard to know with the more sensitive materials.

Thanks for the advice.  It's much appreciated.  I will pick some up on my next order from Slim's.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Art Velour Seats - Cleaning & Protecting
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2021, 21:14 »
I might have sounded harsh, I wasn't meaning to suggest alcantara isn't awesome or anything, it really has that premium look and feel  :cool:
Buy site stuff!

Forum Charity

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2021, 21:57 »
Not at all!  I didn't take it that way for a second.  My concern is just for the delicacy of it, coupled with the fact that I have never had to clean it before.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2021, 22:11 »
Any of these hydrophobic (maybe the right word!) products are all about creating a chemical barrier over the top - whether that's paint, fabric, plastic, whatever. The idea being that dirt sits on the top and creates that beading thing. Realistically, your seats, you never want to be seeing it! Paint work though, all the time!
Buy site stuff!

Forum Charity

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2021, 09:43 »
Jeez, this place is quiet!   :smiley:

Yes it is. The Detailing forum board used to have a very active and enthusiastic administrator (Booth11), but they haven’t been active on the forum since May last year. They are still very active over on VWROC forum though.

I’d also go for Gtechniq I1 - Smart Fabric. I’ve not used it personally but it does get good reviews over on www.Cleanyourcar.co.uk. Discount code DW05 should get you 5% discount, although you may still find it cheaper elsewhere.

On the subject of discounts; there is a ‘sticky’ at the top of the Detailing board (Detailing - special offer spotting) that hasn’t been updated or added to for some time. However, some of the discount codes may still work, so worth trying them,

Edit; just did a quick search on ‘Alcantara’ using the forum advanced search function (accessed via ‘Search’ on the black bar at the top of the screen). Gtechniq I1 - Smart Fabric gets a thumbs up for use on Alcantara in this discussion thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=270464.msg2562566#msg2562566

« Last Edit: 18 April 2021, 10:19 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl