Author Topic: GTD drinking fuel like a petrol car???  (Read 20478 times)

Offline deerehill78@googlemail.co

• Just got here
GTD drinking fuel like a petrol car???
« on: 10 March 2019, 21:31 »
Hi, i have recently bought a 2016 golf GTD (DSG) i have notice the car sucks alot of fuel, i drive it on a daily basis to work £20 will prob last me 3 days in total my trip is 34 miles does this seem right or is it just me? I drive it in eco mode but i want to have more fun in it but if put it in normal mode then you can really see the needle move........ someone please help!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: GTD drinking fuel like a petrol car???
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2019, 22:10 »
Are you saying that you are getting 102 miles from £20 of diesel? Or is that 34 miles each way, in which case 204 miles.

If it's 34 miles total per day, then that's about 30mpg depending on how much you're paying for fuel), which isn't great for a car capable of double that. However, there are multiple factors in fuel economy and the car is only one of them. If it's cold weather, you sit in a lot of traffic jams, or you're a bit heavy footed then none of these things will help fuel economy. Neither will carrying lots of unnecessary weight, short journeys where the engine doesn't get up to temp or lots of steep inclines.

You could start by checking tyre pressures and engine oil levels.
7.5 GTD

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2019, 12:38 »
Hi, i have recently bought a 2016 golf GTD (DSG) i have notice the car sucks alot of fuel, i drive it on a daily basis to work £20 will prob last me 3 days in total my trip is 34 miles does this seem right or is it just me? I drive it in eco mode but i want to have more fun in it but if put it in normal mode then you can really see the needle move........ someone please help!!!!!!!!!!

Previously owned a 63 plate GTD with DSG for 3 years and even at sustained  town driving I would get low to mid 30's, the long term average over 3 years ended up being 38 MPG (town, commute and Motorway) but on Motorways I was easily getting mid 50s +

My Golf R is averaging 29 MPG on exactly the same demographic of driving as the GTD

ECO mode only makes any difference on Motorways and its marginal, I dumped the use of that many years ago, it may as well nt exist as an option

The type of driving that drove down the GTD economy was definitely the town and local driving and fact I just drive the car and not look at economy (use the performance) 

To increase economy you need to let engine warm up sufficiently and get to a steady speed, the economy would rise markedly - sweet spot is the 55-65 MPH zone I would say, engine revs are low and you are cruising -

Moved to the R as its the car you would want given the AWD and the 300 BHP but will say the GTD is all the car you would ever need, decent performance, and an amazing long legged cruiser, churning the miles in great comfort (especially with DCC) and decent economy also (remember getting 450 miles out of £55 worth of diesel)

« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 12:41 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2019, 21:08 »
Eco mode makes virtually zero difference. Just forget it.

I can only assume that you've been sitting in traffic to hit that low mpg, because on the open road, even at low temperatures (which do effect consumption) fully ragging it (and yes the GTD does bloody fly when you rag it!), you still get 40mpg in my experience.

Going a steady 70mph down the motorway or 50mph on free flowing A roads, I'd expect to see 50+ mpg, even as high as approaching sixty if the weather and the terrain is flat enough.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2019, 22:03 »
mines sh!te on fuel too , owned it since september last year ,,only getting 350 miles to full tank of fuel 43litres =350 mile . i wish i bought petrol now my mk6 was much better on fuel :angry:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2019, 21:26 »
Are you sitting in traffic Hepton or just doing very short trips?

That's ~30mpg...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2019, 08:16 »
Are you sitting in traffic Hepton or just doing very short trips?

That's ~30mpg...
short trips most of time

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2019, 12:06 »
They are at their thirstiest when cold and don`t give good mpg until warm so short journeys will give a poor result.
Keeping under 2k revs until warm will help.
2016 GTD

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2019, 10:44 »
I had a 140bhp mk6 2.0D and that would return 50mpg no matter what and 60 was in easy reach with a little more care.  This car is much more sensitive to temperature, traffic and how you deploy your right foot.  It would not surprise me at all that 30mpg was all you were getting for short trips in town and cold temps.  Take it for a long run and see how it performs.

If all you are doing is short trips then the DPF regen may be on a never ending cycle as well as it never gets to complete - when this is happening it uses more fuel than normal. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline doc house

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2019, 17:43 »
My 17 GTD Wagon is okay on fuel, can get 400 miles plus on city driving and achieved nearly  600 on a full tank motorway run from Cornwall to Edinburgh. Eco mode makes little difference, honestly think it makes the car work harder as the power is higher up the rev range. Sport mode on the motorway sees it regularly get 59-60mpg best so far was 68mpg driving like a Saint. My friend has the 17 Tiguan and gets high 50s.