Author Topic: Mk6 gti aftermarket head units?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Mk6 gti aftermarket head units?
« on: 03 March 2019, 16:48 »
My pal has a late (2012) mk6 gti which came with a low spec head unit.
He's after a replacement and I suggested an android touch screen unit.
I'm just not sure what's a good option for this car. Does anyone have any ideas, or own one with good/bad experience?
Thanks

Build thread clicky

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
Re: Mk6 gti aftermarket head units?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2019, 21:04 »
After some reading up, decided to go with an OEM unit. Now that appears to bring its own problems along with it....
Apologies if there's an existing link for this, I couldn't find anything. Please point me in the right direction. However :
RNS315 or 510? What's worth paying so much more for a 510?
The physical change looks straight forward with an additional "blue" aerial. What security coding, or pairing up is required?
Which version/part # of the head unit is preferable, they seem to be continually updated.
Can a unit from a different or later model fit in the Golf, say something from a newer Passat or Skoda?
Thanks!

Build thread clicky

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2019, 18:36 »
If money were no object you could go for this;-

https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/volkswagen-retrofits/volkswagen-discover-media-mib2/

Although if it's OEM you prefer I suspect an RNS510 or 315 will be much cheaper. RNS315 has built-in Bluetooth and the maps run from an sd card. The RNS510 is a more advanced unit with better screen and built-in hard drive, but no Bluetooth.

Mk7 generation units from eBay will have component protection that will need removing before they are useable in another car. Not a job for a novice.
7.5 GTD

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2019, 11:37 »
The 510 is touch screen.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2019, 07:06 »
Thanks for the replies.
I've suggested he look for a late mk6 RNS315 with DAB.
I'm still quite surprised his gti came with a pov spec head unit....
Cheers

Build thread clicky

Offline Viking

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2019, 14:01 »
RNS315 and RNS510 are both touchscreen and both store the maps on internal memory (RNS315 on internal flash and RNS510 on a seperate hard drive). RNS315 has a smaller screen (5") while the RNS510 has a larger 6.5" screen. RNS315 can be had with Bluetooth built in (but not all of them so be careful if relying on this as a needed function), also may or may not have DAB, and may or may not have the rear port for the reversing camera. Only way to tell is to physically look at them and check what's there. RNS510 may or may not have DAB but will have the rear camera port. RNS510 has a dvd drive rather than the cd drive the RNS315 has. RNS510 uses hard drive space for music storage, up to 18Gb or so, and can also have speed cameras added to the maps function.

The RNS315 boots up faster than the RNS510 (like 10 - 15 seconds or so while the RNS510 can take 50 seconds to be fully functional). That's not really an issue as it boots to music more or less instantly but navigation can take 30 - 35 seconds before ready to use.

As regards buying one, there's a plethora of old RNS510 units on Ebay at the moment (generation 1 units with poor quality screens and flakey hardware) so avoid anything without a "Star" button on the top right hand side as the Star button units are much better.

Expect to pay anything up to £500 for a DAB RNS510 or £375 ish for a non DAB RNS510.

Expect to pay anything upo to £400 for a fully loaded RNS315 or £200 for a basic non Bluetooth, non DAB unit.

You'll need the security code for any unit you buy. If the seller doesn't have the code then don't buy it. You can get the code for a tenner or so off an Ebay seller (using the serial number of the unit) so why doesn't the seller do this?

You'll need a GPS antenna which cost about a fiver off Ebay and if going for DAB then expect to pay £60 - £70 for a genuine VW DAB antenna or maybe a tenner for a cheap and nasty stick on the screen one.

Maps updates are expensive for the RNS315 and you may have problems if you do update yourself as later maps versions are not compatible with earlier units. Maps updates for the RNS510 can be had online for free if you know where to look and how to burn a dvd.

The car and the unit will need coding with VCDS to make everything work correctly. Anyone telling you it's plug & play is talking out of their arse. Most features might work, but things like steering wheel buttons or in dash display may not work without coding.

I sell a few of these, and I have a couple coming in this week if you're interested. They'll be fully updated and tested, and as cheap as anything on Ebay with aftersales support.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2019, 18:59 »
RNS315 and RNS510 are both touchscreen and both store the maps on internal memory (RNS315 on internal flash and RNS510 on a seperate hard drive). RNS315 has a smaller screen (5") while the RNS510 has a larger 6.5" screen. RNS315 can be had with Bluetooth built in (but not all of them so be careful if relying on this as a needed function), also may or may not have DAB, and may or may not have the rear port for the reversing camera. Only way to tell is to physically look at them and check what's there. RNS510 may or may not have DAB but will have the rear camera port. RNS510 has a dvd drive rather than the cd drive the RNS315 has. RNS510 uses hard drive space for music storage, up to 18Gb or so, and can also have speed cameras added to the maps function.

The RNS315 boots up faster than the RNS510 (like 10 - 15 seconds or so while the RNS510 can take 50 seconds to be fully functional). That's not really an issue as it boots to music more or less instantly but navigation can take 30 - 35 seconds before ready to use.

As regards buying one, there's a plethora of old RNS510 units on Ebay at the moment (generation 1 units with poor quality screens and flakey hardware) so avoid anything without a "Star" button on the top right hand side as the Star button units are much better.

Expect to pay anything up to £500 for a DAB RNS510 or £375 ish for a non DAB RNS510.

Expect to pay anything upo to £400 for a fully loaded RNS315 or £200 for a basic non Bluetooth, non DAB unit.

You'll need the security code for any unit you buy. If the seller doesn't have the code then don't buy it. You can get the code for a tenner or so off an Ebay seller (using the serial number of the unit) so why doesn't the seller do this?

You'll need a GPS antenna which cost about a fiver off Ebay and if going for DAB then expect to pay £60 - £70 for a genuine VW DAB antenna or maybe a tenner for a cheap and nasty stick on the screen one.

Maps updates are expensive for the RNS315 and you may have problems if you do update yourself as later maps versions are not compatible with earlier units. Maps updates for the RNS510 can be had online for free if you know where to look and how to burn a dvd.

The car and the unit will need coding with VCDS to make everything work correctly. Anyone telling you it's plug & play is talking out of their arse. Most features might work, but things like steering wheel buttons or in dash display may not work without coding.

I sell a few of these, and I have a couple coming in this week if you're interested. They'll be fully updated and tested, and as cheap as anything on Ebay with aftersales support.

Hi and many thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the info ;)
I'll share this info with my pal. Do you have a top end late 315 suitable for his car, what sort of moneys are you after?
Cheers

Build thread clicky

Offline Viking

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2019, 21:00 »
I don't have any 315 units, as I don't often deal with them. I have a couple of 510s coming in though.

Offline Viking

• Not said much yet

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2019, 08:53 »
If money were no object you could go for this;-

https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/volkswagen-retrofits/volkswagen-discover-media-mib2/

Although if it's OEM you prefer I suspect an RNS510 or 315 will be much cheaper. RNS315 has built-in Bluetooth and the maps run from an sd card. The RNS510 is a more advanced unit with better screen and built-in hard drive, but no Bluetooth.

Mk7 generation units from eBay will have component protection that will need removing before they are useable in another car. Not a job for a novice.

That's look great, never seen it before, at £1800 its about 20% of my overall car
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black