Author Topic: Gloss black mirrors now standard?  (Read 5809 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Gloss black mirrors now standard?
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2018, 10:44 »
My post WLTP car’s wing mirrors are in body colour. Must be a glitch

But technically your car was built pre WTLP? These have appeared since its been added back to the configurator so might well be included as part of price increase?

It may be an error with the configurator. VW aren’t the best at producing error-free marketing and promotional material. There’s been a number of errors in the configurator over time for the Golf and Polo and probably other models too; e.g. wrong steering wheels, incorrect gear selectors (manual gear lever in DGS equipped cars) and no gear leverl /selector at all - just a black hole! The content of some option packs in the price list for the Polo were incorrect for much of 2018 too.   
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2018, 20:44 »
Black mirrors do look good on the Golf  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2018, 10:26 »
I see your point on the Clubsport, but I like OEM, so yes would leave them on a Clubsport.

I have shiney chrome mirrors on my 60s Mini, so I wouldn't say my tastes were stuck in the 80s, I aint that old!  :laugh:

Makes me laugh, as up until few years ago black and therefore unpainted mirror caps were a sign of a base model, and hence a poverty spec car. It blows my mind why someone would want to make their car look poverty spec, even if it is carbon fibre.

:laugh:
i have the official Carbon Mirror Caps from VW and I have to say they do not look poverty spec at all.  I know what you are saying as several years ago if it was not painted, it was a matt black unpainted cheap plastic or worse and deemed as the standard for base models. 

But the gloss black and Carbon Fibre Mirror caps look nothing like the horrible matt black plastic mirrors and in my personal opinion the gloss black and Carbon Fibre mirror caps do add an extra premium appearance to the car.    Whether you like painted mirror caps and/or gloss black/carbon fibre mirror caps and feel they add to the appearance of your car or not, will be on a personal preference basis. 

In my case I feel the Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps add to the appearance of my Oryx White Golf R.  But when i had a Golf GTI PP previously I had painted mirror caps and I have to say I liked both and don't feel either was poverty spec.

2007GTI said the same thing previously so really really must like body colour mirrors. So if you bought a Clubsport would get the mirrors colour coded to the body? No, you wouldn't.

Of course, as you pointed out they weren't gloss or carbon back then but cheap nasty plastic. Cars used to have lots of chrome round the window and then peopled started buying every chrome accessory off eBay such as light covers and number plate surrounds.

Gloss black parts are used on many higher end and performance variant cars and labelling them as poverty spec is clearly someone who's tastes are stuck in the 80s. The facelift R has lots of gloss black. Would you get that all painted body colour? No,you wouldn't.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2018, 14:45 »
Black mirrors do look good on the Golf  :smiley:

Sure do :laugh:

MK7 GTi

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2018, 15:23 »
I see your point on the Clubsport, but I like OEM, so yes would leave them on a Clubsport.

I have shiney chrome mirrors on my 60s Mini, so I wouldn't say my tastes were stuck in the 80s, I aint that old!  :laugh:

Retro!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2018, 16:49 »
I get where people are coming from when they say the gloss black mirror covers remind them of base model hatchbacks of yesteryear but in the flesh they work with modern styling and other gloss black add ins.
Hell, until Minis made it popular again black roofs were the doyen of chavved up Saxos going for the MaccyD DTM racecar look, but now even Uber conservative VW offers them as an option on some of the GTI range.

Opinions will no doubt be strongly divided on both.

Gloss black mirrors work on certain cars and with certain colour schemes.

Should we start on the subject of black wheels next?   :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2018, 16:55 »
Having just changed to gloss back mirrors and wheels on the white Tig, I'm all for gloss back accents. The roof is next on the list to do.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2018, 20:32 »
Should we start on the subject of black wheels next?   :whistle:

I’ll start... I think it just looks like someone has nicked the wheel trims once the car is moving  :whistle:

I’ll get me coat and start running  :smiley:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2018, 07:34 »
I really like the gloss black mirrors. If I order a gti or R I’ll be adding them. Think they’ll look great with the pan roof.

Anyone know the part numbers for the gloss black or carbon ones?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2018, 10:17 »
I really like the gloss black mirrors. If I order a gti or R I’ll be adding them. Think they’ll look great with the pan roof.

Anyone know the part numbers for the gloss black or carbon ones?

Just ordered mine from here, OEM and has the VW part number on - 5G0072530A

https://vdsshop.co.uk/collections/mk7-golf-gti/products/gloss-black-mirror-covers-for-mk7-golf
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey