Author Topic: Gloss black mirrors now standard?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Gloss black mirrors now standard?
« on: 17 December 2018, 22:09 »
After trying to fit some very nice carbon mirror caps (just couldn’t get them on and apparently they do cause an issue but should fit), I have decided to look at black gloss again as similar price to aftermarket carbon ones.

Anyway, happened to have a play with the configurator as was looking at emissions post WTLP and spotted that it showed it with black mirrors?! So picked out Tungsten and now know how mine will look when I’ve got them!  :smiley:

Actually checked standard equipment and says mirror covers in body colour so much be glitch or something?

Apart from CS owners, who else gone down the gloss black route? Show us a picture....!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Gloss black mirrors now standard?
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2018, 22:46 »
I had them until I hit the mirror and wrecked it....
Have you thought about getting your's wrapped? About £60 and they do look good. I had that as well until a lorry took one off for me. It's why I'm a bit reluctant to get yet another set...

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2018, 22:57 »
My post WLTP car’s wing mirrors are in body colour. Must be a glitch
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2018, 23:30 »
Makes me laugh, as up until few years ago black and therefore unpainted mirror caps were a sign of a base model, and hence a poverty spec car. It blows my mind why someone would want to make their car look poverty spec, even if it is carbon fibre.

:laugh:
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2018, 00:03 »
Makes me laugh, as up until few years ago black and therefore unpainted mirror caps were a sign of a base model, and hence a poverty spec car. It blows my mind why someone would want to make their car look poverty spec, even if it is carbon fibre.

Back in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s pressed metal number plates were also the standard fit item by many dealers, and they’d charge extra for Perspex plates. Now, people are buying pressed metal number plates to replace their Perspex plates  :grin:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2018, 08:11 »

i have the official Carbon Mirror Caps from VW and I have to say they do not look poverty spec at all.  I know what you are saying as several years ago if it was not painted, it was a matt black unpainted cheap plastic or worse and deemed as the standard for base models. 

But the gloss black and Carbon Fibre Mirror caps look nothing like the horrible matt black plastic mirrors and in my personal opinion the gloss black and Carbon Fibre mirror caps do add an extra premium appearance to the car.    Whether you like painted mirror caps and/or gloss black/carbon fibre mirror caps and feel they add to the appearance of your car or not, will be on a personal preference basis. 

In my case I feel the Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps add to the appearance of my Oryx White Golf R.  But when i had a Golf GTI PP previously I had painted mirror caps and I have to say I liked both and don't feel either was poverty spec.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2018, 09:15 »

i have the official Carbon Mirror Caps from VW and I have to say they do not look poverty spec at all.  I know what you are saying as several years ago if it was not painted, it was a matt black unpainted cheap plastic or worse and deemed as the standard for base models. 

But the gloss black and Carbon Fibre Mirror caps look nothing like the horrible matt black plastic mirrors and in my personal opinion the gloss black and Carbon Fibre mirror caps do add an extra premium appearance to the car.    Whether you like painted mirror caps and/or gloss black/carbon fibre mirror caps and feel they add to the appearance of your car or not, will be on a personal preference basis. 

In my case I feel the Carbon Fibre Mirror Caps add to the appearance of my Oryx White Golf R.  But when i had a Golf GTI PP previously I had painted mirror caps and I have to say I liked both and don't feel either was poverty spec.

2007GTI said the same thing previously so really really must like body colour mirrors. So if you bought a Clubsport would get the mirrors colour coded to the body? No, you wouldn't.

Of course, as you pointed out they weren't gloss or carbon back then but cheap nasty plastic. Cars used to have lots of chrome round the window and then peopled started buying every chrome accessory off eBay such as light covers and number plate surrounds.

Gloss black parts are used on many higher end and performance variant cars and labelling them as poverty spec is clearly someone who's tastes are stuck in the 80s. The facelift R has lots of gloss black. Would you get that all painted body colour? No,you wouldn't.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2018, 09:16 »
I had them until I hit the mirror and wrecked it....
Have you thought about getting your's wrapped? About £60 and they do look good. I had that as well until a lorry took one off for me. It's why I'm a bit reluctant to get yet another set...

Could be an option to wrap but think the OEM ones are decent value and can offer them for sale or transfer to next maybe.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2018, 09:17 »
My post WLTP car’s wing mirrors are in body colour. Must be a glitch

But technically your car was built pre WTLP? These have appeared since its been added back to the configurator so might well be included as part of price increase?
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2018, 10:24 »
I would have thought a hi-vis colour with reflectors would be the best to avoid the considerable expense of replacement.