Author Topic: Regular Remote KeyFob Battery Needs Replacing, Can I Replace Battery Myself?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I have just seen the message on my dashboard stating that I need to replace the Key Fob Battery as it's getting low.  I have the regular remote central locking Key Fob (The regular, Non-Keyless Entry variety).   Do I have to take the key in to the dealer to get the battery replaced or is it something I can do at home.  If I were to replace the battery will it screw up the key coding between the the key & car?  If replacing the battery myself does not affect the key coding to the car, what battery do I need to purchase? 

Offline Dre1973

• Not said much yet
I have just seen the message on my dashboard stating that I need to replace the Key Fob Battery as it's getting low.  I have the regular remote central locking Key Fob (The regular, Non-Keyless Entry variety).   Do I have to take the key in to the dealer to get the battery replaced or is it something I can do at home.  If I were to replace the battery will it screw up the key coding between the the key & car?  If replacing the battery myself does not affect the key coding to the car, what battery do I need to purchase?

I replaced mine on my mk5 gti and it was just a matter of pulling the key apart and splitting the case. No issues with koding at all. I'm sure there will be a guide on YouTube

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Simple job to do yourself, as said you need a 2025(2032) battery and coin to prize the fob apart.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Cheers for the advice guys, I will order a battery and do it myself.  Just wanted to be sure about coding before I pulled the battery out. 

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Cheers for the advice guys, I will order a battery and do it myself.  Just wanted to be sure about coding before I pulled the battery out.

I've changed my battery twice in two years (keyless version), so I bought these:
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/energizer-battery-2032-6pk/p/0458999
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.