Author Topic: Those pesky manual switches will be history  (Read 4733 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Those pesky manual switches will be history
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2018, 10:36 »
Awkward, dangerous and not even aesthetically pleasing... :sad:

Definitely something to do if stationary in traffic or stopped!

My favourite thing to do when stopped in my Mk7.5 (no... not that pervs!) is to take a microfiber cloth and polish the bloody fingerprints off of the NavPro... I'd imagine in a Mk8, it will take me longer.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2018, 10:43 »
My favourite thing to do when stopped in my Mk7.5 (no... not that pervs!) is to take a microfiber cloth and polish the bloody fingerprints off of the NavPro... I'd imagine in a Mk8, it will take me longer.

Just follow my lead, let the dust build up then you can't see the fingerprints on the screen :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2018, 11:03 »

Ha I do that!!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2018, 11:33 »

Snap! Best things ever, microfibre towels.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2018, 11:43 »

Agree 100% Watts. Form over function, with little regard to safety as a result of driver distraction from using these touchscreens to make simple changes such as cabin temperature.

I dread to think what VW would charge to replace the touchscreens / repair the functions when they stop working when the car’s out of warranty.

Need to order my new Polo GTI+ soon then, as it still has conventional heating and ventilation controls.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2018, 11:54 »
Perhaps they will offer a steam driven cockpit as an optional extra on the Mk 8.....  I do hate those fingerprints.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2018, 15:12 »

Not that much different to playing with your mobile phone then.  :cool:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2018, 16:34 »
I assumed that most Audis had touchscreen controls for most things already. Indicators seem be hidden in sub-menus...
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2018, 21:44 »
Does anyone actually dislike buttons and switches? I guess it might cost the manufacturers less in tooling for all the switches and their moving parts but who really wants to be faffing about with touchscreen just to turn the fan on and adjust airflow.
A good point was made about being distracted, I still see people on their phones this kind of tech especially for the older generation no offence to them will mean more distracted drivers on the road

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2018, 11:42 »
I assumed that most Audis had touchscreen controls for most things already. Indicators seem be hidden in sub-menus...
My 2018 A4 has non-touch screen with a scroll wheel mounted in front of the gear shifter to make selections. I really like it, much easier to use than the Golf touch screen - I once took 7 attempts to press one letter key in the Golf as its just very difficult to accurately hit a spot on a screen in a moving car. Do the people  that design these things ever actually use them?