Author Topic: How do i remove white polish/wax marks from interior plastic?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Since bringing my car back from it's 2yr service i noticed bad white polish/wax marks on the plastic of the centre front ceiling light and glasses holder console.  The VW dealers valet obviously includes ruining tbe plastics inside your car as part of the service.

I have tried rubbing the marks with a micro fibre cloth both with/without warm water and fairy liquid.  But the marks remain as if untouched.

How can i remove the unsightly white marks without ruining the finish of the plastic?

« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 12:50 by Brenbo »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: How do i remove white polish/wax marks from interior plastic?
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2018, 13:35 »
If alcohol doesn't get it off, go back to the dealer - going for anything more aggressive like acetone and you'll likely scar the plastic.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2018, 14:49 »
By 'alcohol' do you mean something like Isopropanol Alcohol?  I also have G Techniq Panel Wipe (which is alcohol based) will this do the trick or would you think something like panel wipe would be too harsh on an interior plastic? 

I have tried the Eraser trick as well and this does not seem to have any effect on the white marks either. I didn't even ask for the car to be cleaned, they just did it without asking. 

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2018, 15:21 »
I would be tempted to use Panel wipes. Try a small area first just to test, but as stated don't use any Acetone based products. (Nail varnish remover etc.)
« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 15:42 by hobbes22 »
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2018, 15:34 »
IPA/Panel Wipe should bring them off without affecting the trim. Just rub very gently with a soft microfibre soaked with IPA.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2018, 15:58 »
I will try some panel wipe on a test area first then apply to the affected area as you guys have suggested. 

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2018, 21:14 »
quick detailer may help?
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2018, 01:03 »
Love how dealers think they're doing you a favour by cleaning the car when in reality all they do is cause problems. I find it astonishing that dealers employ immigrants or local dullards on minimum wage with absolutely no interest in what they're doing.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2018, 08:33 »
In my mk5 Golf days, before I was into car detailing, my car would almost always look dirtier after the dealer’s complementary service wash than it did before it was ‘washed’; sections missed, dirty muddy water streaks and dried on water spots. I ended up washing it myself when I got home from the dealers to remove evidence of their half-hearted attempt.

Needless to say, now I’m a car detailing fan, my car is never ever washed by the dealer. Weather permitting, it’s always washed before it goes back to the dealer for servicing, warranty work or repairs, with the ‘reminders’ to the dealer to ‘leave it alone!’ (do not wash’ hanger on the mirror, same instruction on a tag tied to the keys and do ‘do not wash’ instruction written on the service job card).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2018, 08:42 »
I agree Ryan90GTI, everytime I have taken my car in for something I have sustained some form of localised damage to my car i.e. white marks on plastic when I take it for 2yr service, chipped Austin Alloy wheel when i take it in for the tyres to be replaced, damaged steering wheel when I take my car in for a 1yr service.  I wouldn't be surprised if the white marks are caused by the dealers valet wiping the inside of my car with a cloth which had liquid wax/polish on it meant for the outside of the car.  The reason I say this is the white marks have a strong resemblance to the white marks you get on exterior plastic trim on the outside of the car when you don't mask and then polish/wax the car.  Anyway I have spent a long while wiping the damaged plastic area with G Techniq Panel Wipe and most of the white marks have gone, but I still have the odd bit/tide line of white, where it is proving more troublesome to remove.  May I will have another go at it in the near  future.