Author Topic: New Car December 18 or January 19?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: New Car December 18 or January 19?
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2018, 10:25 »
I looked into this previously as when I got my GTI was (by luck more than anything) on the transition from 63-14 plates.

Allegedly at about 3 years old (and this is a big generalisation) the depreciation on normal months was on average £200, whereas for a month where the plate changes or a year changes it's around £800.

No idea how accurate/truthful it is, but I read it on the internet around 5 years ago lol.

All that said, I'd still get it in December.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2018, 10:59 »
I looked into this previously as when I got my GTI was (by luck more than anything) on the transition from 63-14 plates.

Allegedly at about 3 years old (and this is a big generalisation) the depreciation on normal months was on average £200, whereas for a month where the plate changes or a year changes it's around £800.

No idea how accurate/truthful it is, but I read it on the internet around 5 years ago lol.

All that said, I'd still get it in December.

That’s not too far off.
I think VW used to work on around £250 a month deprecation on a Golf GTI/R for normal months and when they’re fairly new (ignoring the initial new car drop) then a larger drop when the plates change if you’re looking at part Ex prices. It drops to around £200 a month after a couple years but there’s also seasonal adjustment and supply and demand anomalies to take into account.
I dread to think what the monthly drops are on a high end BMW 6 series. 

Ironically the highest depreciation is when the car has plenty of warranty and it evens out loads once it hits 3 years and you have to pay for your own repairs.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2018, 11:33 »
In contrast to everyone else - I would wait a week and have it registered as a 2019 car.