Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245520 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #460 on: 09 April 2019, 09:45 »
Turns out it was someone trying to steal it off the train! Could be hot property this TCR version....!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/thieves-fail-to-steal-vw-golf-gti-straight-from-car-hauler/ar-BBVJIbZ
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #461 on: 09 April 2019, 11:34 »
Turns out it was someone trying to steal it off the train! Could be hot property this TCR version....!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/thieves-fail-to-steal-vw-golf-gti-straight-from-car-hauler/ar-BBVJIbZ

TCR - Thieves Crash Racecar?  :grin:
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #462 on: 09 April 2019, 12:38 »
Couldn’t see if this review has been shared. Suggests they should have called it a GTI Performance Plus which actually sounds pretty spot on.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-gti-tcr/

Mentions the ride height which with adaptive dampers is 5mm lower only than a GTI P and the 20mm is ride height difference is between a GTI and a standard Golf.

Good and fair review I thought. I wonder if they could have offered a sequential gearbox, similar to what Abarth did with the dog ring box in the 695 Biposto to create a stronger TCR link. Instead we're left debating mm differences in ride height!  :laugh:

They mention tyres in the article, does anyone know what they ship with as standard on the 19" wheels? The Motor Research review shows a close up with 19" Pretorias running on Pirelli PZeros and from the plate, I'm guessing that's one of the press cars as it has appeared in several articles. I'm not sure where the Michelin option exists per the article.

Its not really ride height itself that querying its the ride itself, as most, despite its leaning to track will never take it near a track and it will spend its life on UK roads - that article was more promising in terms of the DCC making the ride comfortable for the times when you are commuting around.

The DCC on my GTD was a revelation, loved it, appropriately firm in Sport and soft and cossetted in comfort

The DCC on my R was a surprise as expected the ride to be a little more compromised on the 19" Pretoria but it was opposite, where normal on the R = Comfort on the GTD and comfort on R is in fact a little too bouncy if anything. - Put that down to a lighter wheel??

But from what gleaming, you cannot make a comparison for the TCR as it maybe DCC, but its a different set up, and my hope is comfort on the TCR would be like normal on the R? if thats about right that would be great - Not overly bothered if ride really firms up in race/sport on TCR as given pressed that button then its really what seeking in sharper experience.

The other concern is the traction on getaway, as again my GTD used to tramp and thats circa 100 BHP less than the TCR

So just get an R would really be the answer but there has always been a hankering for a GTI, always been on list to tick since a kid, and personally really like this version which has a lot more style and appeal than the more capable R - Style vs practicality.

You sound like you want a GTI. If you're going to get any GTI, I'd suggest this would be a good one to scratch the itch with.

Until someone does a back to back review comparing the GTI Performance to the TCR and R, I think we're going to be left to speculate. That said, there are sufficient variables with wheel, tyre choices and software for you to be able to get the car as you want but I'd be surprised if VW hadn't made it liveable with day to day. If the marketing is to be believed, there is a unique setup on the TCR and only driving an R and GTI PP back to back will give a sense of feel but then to ensure a fair comparison, you'd need the same wheel/tyre combination and I don't think any of the reviews are conducted with that level of rigour so are slightly subjective as road tests.

What I took away from the Motoring Research article is that the car is great on the roads that I would expect it to be good on. It won't match straight line speed with AWD on the R of course but the reviewer commented that the power/weight translated in the curves and 290 is still a lot of power for a FWD hot hatch.

I know what you mean about tramping, I have it with the GTD but it doesn't happen that often. I've more or less come to recognise the conditions where it'll occur and ease off in anticipation but it's the least appealing trait of the car. I did change the map on the GTD at one point and it was on about 220/490 but it introduced terrible torque steer and exaggerated the tramping so reversed it. I would have had to undertake a lot more tuning which I wasn't interested in spending money on but did think to check the geo and it was all over the place. I had the geo properly set by JZM and it made a substantial difference as did a change of tyres.

I too became adept with feathering the accelerator with the GTD and it does negate the issue a little but also negates the getaway as you cannot utilise all the power, though when changed tyres it did improve dramatically and so understanding what the first set of rubber and capabilities are would be good to know?

Went through first set of rubber on GTD at 13,000 miles, my R is 23500 miles and still quite a bit of wear left all around.

Can cope with a firmer ride than present, the R in race is actually ok except for worst roads, but having come from S Line Quattro do not want to go back to them crashy rides now have tasted the 2 in 1 genius of the DCC

The R is so capable, its comfortable, quick and sure footed but its quite plain and really only gets the nod from those in the know

The GTI is iconic and in this TCR form adds a little more styling presence and if I am going to scratch the itch as someone said, its probably the time to do it as doubt the MK8 has same immediate lustre and this is likely the best the GTI will be outside of the Clubsport

I have a little time still so hoping to see more real reviews and especially feedback from this forum from the early adopters and as its not a limited run I might even be able to squeeze a test drive which will ask for but have found hard to get on early runs in the past

Need also to still understand the BIK as TCR is more C02 friendly

its a real 50-50 at moment, which a few weeks ago was 90-10 but the iconic GTI is pulling at the heart :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #463 on: 09 April 2019, 12:46 »
Couldn’t see if this review has been shared. Suggests they should have called it a GTI Performance Plus which actually sounds pretty spot on.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-gti-tcr/

Mentions the ride height which with adaptive dampers is 5mm lower only than a GTI P and the 20mm is ride height difference is between a GTI and a standard Golf.

Good and fair review I thought. I wonder if they could have offered a sequential gearbox, similar to what Abarth did with the dog ring box in the 695 Biposto to create a stronger TCR link. Instead we're left debating mm differences in ride height!  :laugh:

They mention tyres in the article, does anyone know what they ship with as standard on the 19" wheels? The Motor Research review shows a close up with 19" Pretorias running on Pirelli PZeros and from the plate, I'm guessing that's one of the press cars as it has appeared in several articles. I'm not sure where the Michelin option exists per the article.

Its not really ride height itself that querying its the ride itself, as most, despite its leaning to track will never take it near a track and it will spend its life on UK roads - that article was more promising in terms of the DCC making the ride comfortable for the times when you are commuting around.

The DCC on my GTD was a revelation, loved it, appropriately firm in Sport and soft and cossetted in comfort

The DCC on my R was a surprise as expected the ride to be a little more compromised on the 19" Pretoria but it was opposite, where normal on the R = Comfort on the GTD and comfort on R is in fact a little too bouncy if anything. - Put that down to a lighter wheel??

But from what gleaming, you cannot make a comparison for the TCR as it maybe DCC, but its a different set up, and my hope is comfort on the TCR would be like normal on the R? if thats about right that would be great - Not overly bothered if ride really firms up in race/sport on TCR as given pressed that button then its really what seeking in sharper experience.

The other concern is the traction on getaway, as again my GTD used to tramp and thats circa 100 BHP less than the TCR

So just get an R would really be the answer but there has always been a hankering for a GTI, always been on list to tick since a kid, and personally really like this version which has a lot more style and appeal than the more capable R - Style vs practicality.

Are you perhaps over thinking it? I know it's an important decision but you want one so why not? The ride is not going to be terrible, it'll be absolutely fine and tramping can be 95% controlled with the right tyres. Since you seem to change your cars every few years it's not like you'll be stuck with it forever. I bet you'll love it :smiley:

My cars are 3 year company lease, which is pretty unrestricted in terms of the car you can choose as long as can afford it from the banding you are in. So as you say, scratch the itch, and if really an issue can return to the more pragmatic next time.

Went through front set on the GTD at 13,000 so doubt the TCR is any better, though even though lucky got decent set on the GTD its a little bit of lottery what the lease company choose, so hoping the ones provided from new are decent and I can use them as precedence at change.

Still have some time before choose so hope that little more informed come the time press the buttons.

done my diligence on the A35 AMG but discarded that, feel its inferior to even the 5 year old MK 7 despite some of the glitz its brings to catch the eye, behind the glitz, do feel its a lesser car. - Think when time moves on and the MK 7 is looked back on it will be realised just what a great model it was.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #464 on: 21 April 2019, 19:49 »
Barnetts in Dundee have a TCR as a demo and it is on  their facebook page , Think they have a red one as well ,l worth a look.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #465 on: 21 April 2019, 20:31 »
There’s a nearly new one on autotrader already for £29.6k.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #466 on: 22 April 2019, 23:50 »
There’s a nearly new one on autotrader already for £29.6k.

Fishing expedition I bet. Call and I'm sure you'll get 'We just sold that one but...' See the ads says 227bhp, probably why it's cheaper!  :grin:

Mine is in the UK now according to the dealer. Just got to get it through PDI and my detailer.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #467 on: 23 April 2019, 09:14 »
Good to see the forum back up and running :)

Lots of nice comments about this board and how rubbish it would be if this board did somehow demise on the VWROC community who only have a different flavour of the Golf and so appreciate the GTI quite a bit also.

Also be a shame for me also, as be rejoining the flock sometime in October as just ordered a Pure Grey, Reifnitz, 90% Tint TCR

The heritage lure was too much to resist having always wanted a GTI but always sidestepping it for something else, and it really was a now or never given the TCR package.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #469 on: 23 April 2019, 10:50 »
Barnetts in Dundee have a TCR as a demo
https://en-gb.facebook.com/BarnettsVolkswagen/posts/2239828762722875

Saw this at the weekend, and as driving an R at present and understand its AWD assured capabilities quite it was not the easiest decision to drop the AWD but given the likely rarity of this model, the heritage of the GTI that not personally ticked, and the styling which you see in them photos and I love, it was accepting some compromise in dropping the AWD but from that point on everything else was an upside for me.