Author Topic: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?  (Read 16541 times)

Offline Ikura

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?
« Reply #20 on: 24 August 2018, 09:45 »
Would I wait for the Mk.8?  No I wouldn't, because you never know what life is going to throw at you or what is around the corner.  Enjoy what you can, while you can and if you really want a GTi then what is the point of holding on for something that might not be as good as what you could have now?

No one knows what the next GTi will be like.  With all eyes on emissions and all this hybrid garbage you might find the Mk.8 is dummed down to appease the loons in the EU.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 24 August 2018, 09:49 »
Ikura - I agree. I'm looking for a 7.5 GTI at the mo and will hope to keep it for 10 years/180k miles (what my last permanent car achieved). I'm something of a GTI virgin and others are more qualified than me to comment but from what I've looked into, the 7/7.5 may well go down as one of the best GTIs ever, alongside the 1 & 5.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2018, 09:57 »
Would I wait for the Mk.8?  No I wouldn't, because you never know what life is going to throw at you or what is around the corner.  Enjoy what you can, while you can and if you really want a GTi then what is the point of holding on for something that might not be as good as what you could have now?

No one knows what the next GTi will be like.  With all eyes on emissions and all this hybrid garbage you might find the Mk.8 is dummed down to appease the loons in the EU.
That's a very fair point, I'm sick of hearing about emissions.
We should get a preview of the new GTI hybrid technology in October. The new Mercedes A35 is being revealed and uses the same hybrid technology with a 2.0 litre petrol engine and 48V battery supplementing power and saving fuel. I'm not sure I like the idea of engine coasting though.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2018, 10:00 »
Thanks Jim - I don't get the variant option that you refer to and can't find any new GTIs. I'm looking at autotrader.co.uk so I assume that is the latest version.

For me, PP = increased purchase/fuel/insurance costs and more noise. Haven't ruled it out completely but would prefer the standard model.

On the front Auto Trader Screen, select;
Manufacturer = VW
Model = Golf

Press the red search button

Top left corner of the next screen, select the ‘Model Variant’ option; all models of the Golf are displayed in a pop-up window and you can select just the models you’re interested in to restrict your search (to non-performance GTI’s).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 24 August 2018, 10:07 »
SRGTD - thanks. Yes, I did that then 'new' and I get 1 return...

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2018, 10:09 »
I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807148441293?atmobcid=soc3

Try this link ar899
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2018, 10:21 »

Don't select new. Select Year 2018. Used.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 24 August 2018, 10:26 »

I get 4 brand new by selecting ‘Year’ as 2018 (as well as restricting model to ‘GTI’). If you remove the year and search on ‘GTI’ and mileage up to 100 (so include pre-reg delivery mileage models), there’s 8.

The search results will based on what the trader has put in the ad, so you need to be a bit creative with your search filters and experiment with different permutations of search criteria.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 24 August 2018, 10:27 »
Thanks Jim - I don't get the variant option that you refer to and can't find any new GTIs. I'm looking at autotrader.co.uk so I assume that is the latest version.

For me, PP = increased purchase/fuel/insurance costs and more noise. Haven't ruled it out completely but would prefer the standard model.

I've had both versions of the 7.5 I would say the following:

Purchase price - very little if you look at pre reg/2k miles one.
Fuel - no noticeable different - probably better for the Performance version on a run as its got the 7 speed
Insurance - would guess difference will be almost nothing

More noise - not really, but louder on start up but I actually found my new one smoother and nicer to drive and the gearbox is loads more refined.

But with the Performance model you have better brakes, far superior traction from the diff and a touch more power. I'd say it's a no brainer to go for it.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 24 August 2018, 10:44 »
Jim/SRGTD - thanks both, getting somewhere now :)