Author Topic: Discover Nav Pro vs Standard Nav  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
Re: Discover Nav Pro vs Standard Nav
« Reply #10 on: 17 July 2018, 13:47 »
Can't tell you how good the Pro is but the standard is as good as a nav needs to be.

Issues are that it's touch screen so I imagine losing the 2 knobs is a potential problem and can be used on all menus including Apple Carplay (some reviews have said same about no knobs!). Other main issue is entering a postcode which requires too any clicks before you can enter the postcode - gone round the houses before you've even set off!

Looks wise, the std screen in the 7.5 looks fantastic so you'd have to be nuts to pay for the upgrade in terms of it 'looks better'.

Personally, I'd spend the money on something else such as the pan roof or wheels.

I've recently picked up my new Gti with standard nav.  For inputting postcodes I just press Nav, then new destination (bottom left) then type the postcode in the "enter address/POi" box. Nice and quick for me.

Don't remember it always being that quick. Used to take me about 5 minutes on out work pool car which was a Skoda.

dervy

« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2018, 15:37 »
My mark 6 and Mk7 GTDs both had the standard Naved fitted and they were enough for me. I was my impatience to get my 7.5 R that resulted in me having the nav pro on this car. The vehicle was enroute to a dealership and was pretty much specced as I wanted except that it had nav pro and didn’t have Dynaudio, but I got the car in 2 weeks. My views, as a Luddite, are that it looks pretty cool (one you get rid of the fingerprints). I don’t find the lack of knobs an issue as I use the steering controls. The gesture and voice controls are hit and miss and I would rather have had The Dynaudio at £550 than navpro at £1350, but a two week wait is a two week wait, a reasonable px for the GTD and a good discount on the list price swayed it for me. I thought the sound was better than that of the standard unit, but I am advised that there is no difference! I am probably convincing myself that it is in order to justify the expenditure. In summary, as a slate and abacus man, it is not worth the money. If you love techy stuff then go for it. Did I say it looks cool?   :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2018, 17:17 »
Is NavPro good looking? YES!

Is NavPro more useful? YES!

Is NavPro worth £1350? Hmmmmm

But you can say that about any of the options... bigger wheels...paint...seats...lane assist...

I personally don't think 19's do anything for me... I'd buy them as a 100 quid upgrade, but not what VW want.

I liked another colour (I have white) but couldn't justify money for a colour (hell, I'd have not paid for white but that purple was soooooo bad)

The thing with all of these extras are VW trying to edge more money out of you for not a lot of extra functionality - it doesn't drive better, it doesn't go faster.... its just bling. If anything VW UK's packaging of the performance golfs with loads of "free base spec" is actually upselling in the first place. They know that most people wouldn't spec to £28k if they offered a basic GTI without the toys (like in Germany) at £19k. Thats 9k of extra money they'd never see...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2018, 19:07 »
So it also says the following about the Nav Pro:

Discover Navigation Pro infotainment system
8 speakers, front and rear
Bluetooth mobile phone interface
Car-net 'App-Connect' with Media Control
MDI (Multi-Device Interface) via USB connection - compatible products only
Voice activation, spoken voice commands for telephone and navigation system

Does that mean you get less speakers with the Standard and no bluetooth?
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2018, 20:38 »
So it also says the following about the Nav Pro:

Discover Navigation Pro infotainment system
8 speakers, front and rear
Bluetooth mobile phone interface
Car-net 'App-Connect' with Media Control
MDI (Multi-Device Interface) via USB connection - compatible products only
Voice activation, spoken voice commands for telephone and navigation system

Does that mean you get less speakers with the Standard and no bluetooth?

No, of that list only "Voice activation, spoken voice commands for telephone and navigation system" is missing on the basic nav (oh maybe the media control app is missing too but that's sh*t).

If you want voice control, you can pay for activation of the software feature on the basic nav.

(I'd not bother to be honest)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2018, 19:38 »
Standard Nav doesn't get

- Voice activated control system responds to spoken voice commands for navigation and telephone functions. (unless you pay for it separately)
-9.2" colour touch-screen control system for navigation, DVD, CD and radio functions and Volkswagen Media Control, allowing remote control of the infotainment system via a smartphone or tablet. (standard can't play DVD or video files at all)
- 64 GB SSD hard drive. (standard runs from a SD card, sacrificing one of the two available for music)
- 3D map view - (sort of useful)
- Speed Limit Display (from map data)
-photo display from JPEG and PNG files and SD card reader x 2.
- Gesture Control� enables convenient operation of menu functions via a simple sideways gesture, easily select radio stations, songs or photos with a single hand movement.

Just read on another forum that the standard Sat nav shows the speed limit.  Could someone confirm, please?
Current:
Gone:

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 23 July 2018, 19:46 »
Standard Nav doesn't get

- Voice activated control system responds to spoken voice commands for navigation and telephone functions. (unless you pay for it separately)
-9.2" colour touch-screen control system for navigation, DVD, CD and radio functions and Volkswagen Media Control, allowing remote control of the infotainment system via a smartphone or tablet. (standard can't play DVD or video files at all)
- 64 GB SSD hard drive. (standard runs from a SD card, sacrificing one of the two available for music)
- Gesture Control� enables convenient operation of menu functions via a simple sideways gesture, easily select radio stations, songs or photos with a single hand movement.

Just read on another forum that the standard Sat nav shows the speed limit.  Could someone confirm, please?

Yes; it does show the speed limit, but only on the main unit screen, not when you put the map on the AID between the guages. Well, not so far as I can see, but would be happy to be proved wrong as that would be useful.
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2018, 21:41 »
Standard Nav doesn't get

Yes; it does show the speed limit, but only on the main unit screen, not when you put the map on the AID between the guages. Well, not so far as I can see, but would be happy to be proved wrong as that would be useful.

Showing it on the main screen would be good enough for me...  Ta
Current:
Gone:

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2018, 22:44 »
My tuppence worth, I have no Nav, I just use Waze, pisses all over anything from VW, live updates etc.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2018, 07:02 »
If you have the map in the active info (standard NAV) and 'NAV' selected on the main screen you get the speed limits on the main screen
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints