Author Topic: 3rd Turbo in 4 years brand new MK7 GTI  (Read 4153 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: 3rd Turbo in 4 years brand new MK7 GTI
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2018, 22:02 »
Ah yes "Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty".

Given the circumstances it would not be unreasonable to contact VW UK to discuss further goodwill from them and they may honour additional goodwill or cover the repair in full given the recurring failure!

So basically, follow the rules until you don't like them.

Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 22:09 »
Ah yes "Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty".

Given the circumstances it would not be unreasonable to contact VW UK to discuss further goodwill from them and they may honour additional goodwill or cover the repair in full given the recurring failure!

So basically, follow the rules until you don't like them.

I guess so!

Volkswagen are pretty big on goodwill compared to a lot of other manufacturers I have worked with and they will take into account individual circumstances and offer goodwill where appropriate. The factory will offer goodwill on most part failures e.g. just outside of warranty period, within 3 years over 60,000 mile period or known issues e.g. with a particular part manufacturer or build period, VWUK often further contribute to this if the circumstances are right.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 14 April 2018, 00:08 »
I'd push for covering the full cost and if they won't, take them to the small claims court for the difference. A turbo is not a wear and tear item and no average person would consider that yours has lasted a reasonable amount of time, the test under the Consumer Rights Act.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 14 April 2018, 10:11 »
So for example you have 1 month left on your warranty and you get a turbo replaced under warranty. It goes again 18 months later and the two year parts warranty is effectively only one month as that what was remaining on your factory warranty. I would still be arguing that any new part fitted should have two years warranty as stated. Begs the question though is it turbo failure or poor workmanship in fitting the replacement.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline insta_mash

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 14 April 2018, 12:10 »

Fred no mate just as it came from the factory not tuned or modified in any way. I also feel like them immediately offering to pay for the part is an admission that its not right!

Yes clubsport full service history with the dealer and I do all the annoying things they suggest re-charging the air con, brake fluid change etc.  :rolleyes: I feel like I have been a very good customer. They don't even have a vehicle for me to borrow in the mean time I'm on my push bike to work ATM  :sad:

cossiegaz82 basically pulling onto the main road once the engine goes past 2000rpm it immediately looses power and the EPC light comes on and the car is still driveable but in a safe mode very little power. They said they were waiting for a tool to test the actuator yesterday so I assume after yesterdays test its the wastegate actuator that has failed but I will interrogate them next week about exactly whats happened.

Ulysses31 my neighbour is fairly switched on regarding Consumer rights and has suggested this direction.

In regards to the driving yeah its not ideal work is only a couple of miles away I generally keep it under 2k rpm all the way there. I do get out on it though it gets regular further runs out.

Replacement turbo should be covered for 2 years I think so all at VW's cost. Got all the paperwork for it?

Incorrect!

You don't get 'warranty on warranty' as you have not paid for the repair. 18 months on following a turbo replacement under manufacturer warranty, you have no warranty on said part! There would only be 1 Year/12K miles warranty on workmanship only.

I might push that them arguing 1 year parts warranty and 2 year parts warranty on a 2nd turbo is splitting hairs and unfair.... it might just be as simple as asking. I need my car back though so if they say no I'll probably just have to pay it and claim it back through small claims and consumer rights.

I do see on other forums its not unusual and I feel like there is a problem with these turbos they are not admitting to .... I know the R has had problems and a possible recall in the USA/ Australia . Although I don't know if the R uses the same turbo or not.

Thanks for your replies guys much appreciated.

Jim