Author Topic: QI6 Flexible Servicing To Time and Distance Servicing  (Read 22106 times)

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
Re: QI6 Flexible Servicing To Time and Distance Servicing
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2018, 13:29 »
Ah yes, definitely the easier option alright but for me, I do all my own servicing within reason - there are some jobs that I would leave the car in to have done, timing belt for example. I use a good independent garage like yourself. It is a small family run business but the knowledge and quality of work there is top notch and I trust them which is most important. The owners are VAG enthusiasts and petrol heads too which really goes a long way. They are also a bit cheaper than the main dealers which is nice. The only issue with them is they are quite a a distance from where I live so that is a bit of a pain but well worth the trade off for the service they provide. I've had bad experiences in the past with multiple main V.W. dealers unfortunately so would steer clear of them myself based on this. I quite enjoy working on my own car too but I'm very particular so like to know exactly what I'm doing, why I'm doing it and like to do things exactly by the book and in some cases above and beyond the book. In the case of this thread "the book" doesn't provide the info I am looking for but I'm sure I'll find it...

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2018, 07:31 »
You have hit the nail on the head about trust which is the main reason I use an independent. It is a bonus that they are also a bit cheaper however the money is not saved in the quality of the workmanship as someone has to pay for the many receptionists and "fancy" tea and coffee making facilities.
I did enjoy working on my own cars in the past but Unfortunately things seem to be very complicated now with the computer and electronics I leave well alone. I can't even change the rear brake pads any more ☹️

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2018, 23:25 »
Took mine off flex service interval at it's first service (1 year old).I know long life oil is not only used at the factory but also used for all types of servicing at VW dealers (507 00).
Personally,i'm just going on what my service schedule book says now.Most important thing to me is fresh oil.Everything else is not so important.
If it's of any interest.I got this from a reputable poster on the MK7 Golf forum.Think it might well be from the VW-win site that you have to pay to use.
Fuel filter.Change at 56k miles.
Air filter.Change at 56k miles or 6 years (whichever comes first).
Dust/pollen filter.Change at 37k or 2 years (whichever comes first).
Cambelt.Change at 130k miles or 5 years (whichever comes first).
Long intervals i know.But that's what VW recommend. :shocked:
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2018, 16:53 »
I did enjoy working on my own cars in the past but Unfortunately things seem to be very complicated now with the computer and electronics I leave well alone. I can't even change the rear brake pads any more ☹️

Get yourself a VCDS cable and software. Best tool you will buy for your Volkswagen and it enables you to do lots of things including opening and closing the parking brake for rear brake pad changes. I'm so glad I bought my VCDS and use it far more than I thought I would.

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2018, 17:31 »
Took mine off flex service interval at it's first service (1 year old).I know long life oil is not only used at the factory but also used for all types of servicing at VW dealers (507 00).
Personally,i'm just going on what my service schedule book says now.Most important thing to me is fresh oil.Everything else is not so important.
If it's of any interest.I got this from a reputable poster on the MK7 Golf forum.Think it might well be from the VW-win site that you have to pay to use.

Thanks for the info. I have previously paid and gone online to download some documents from erWin. I've checked the info you've given above and it matches exactly with the info that is stated in the V.W. official workshop manual from erWin apart from the 5 years on the cambelt. Oddly there is no time frame stated in the erWin documents for that, just a mileage value. I would have expected both time and mileage values :huh: My GTD is four years old and at 53,000 km/32,000 miles so I'll certainly reach the 5 year mark before the 130,000 mile mark. The only other thing if anybody is reading this with a MK7 with a petrol engine is that the fuel filter change is only applicable to diesel engines as the fuel filter on petrol engines is built into the fuel delivery unit and cannot be renewed on its own. Petrol fuel filter change is not listed so I assume it is unneeded during the life of the car unless there is a specific issue with it such as it becoming blocked etc.? Just as well as they are costly at around €260/£230  :shocked:

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2018, 22:25 »

Thanks for the info. I have previously paid and gone online to download some documents from erWin. I've checked the info you've given above and it matches exactly with the info that is stated in the V.W. official workshop manual from erWin apart from the 5 years on the cambelt. Oddly there is no time frame stated in the erWin documents for that, just a mileage value. I would have expected both time and mileage values :huh: My GTD is four years old and at 53,000 km/32,000 miles so I'll certainly reach the 5 year mark before the 130,000 mile mark. The only other thing if anybody is reading this with a MK7 with a petrol engine is that the fuel filter change is only applicable to diesel engines as the fuel filter on petrol engines is built into the fuel delivery unit and cannot be renewed on its own. Petrol fuel filter change is not listed so I assume it is unneeded during the life of the car unless there is a specific issue with it such as it becoming blocked etc.? Just as well as they are costly at around €260/£230  :shocked:

Checked my service record book and there is not anything about the belt change interval.Just to check with VW.So i did.
www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/cambelt-change

Pre09=4years   Post09=5 years. Possibly sooner for high mileage.
So i guess like with for yourself it will be 5 years for me.And if it goes sooner they will be to blame!. :grin:
« Last Edit: 11 March 2018, 22:30 by Restlessnative »

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2018, 10:34 »
Seems to be conflicting or at least varied information on the cambelt for some reason. I'd be airing on the side of caution though myself; a right expensive mess if it lets go  :sick:

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2018, 17:00 »
Seems to be conflicting or at least varied information on the cambelt for some reason. I'd be airing on the side of caution though myself; a right expensive mess if it lets go  :sick:

Same here.Expensive rubber band failure. :shocked:

Offline JHWP

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2018, 14:23 »
I still haven't been able to get a definitive answer on this unfortunately  :undecided:

The service intervals in the service book gives different information to that of the information within the documents on erWin. The book says for an oil change service -
QI4 = After 15,000 km / 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first
QI7 = After 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first

The book says for an inspection service -
QI4 = First service after 2 years or 30,000 km / 20,000 miles whichever comes first then every 1 year or 30,000 km / 20,000 miles whichever comes first
QI7 = First service after 2 years or 30,000 km / 20,000 miles whichever comes first then every 1 year or 30,000 km / 20,000 miles whichever comes first

Here is a picture from my service book

So, according to the service book there is no difference to the oil change or inspection intervals when comparing QI4 and QI7. If there is no difference between them and they follow exactly the same intervals why do both exist? There is a difference between them in the erWin documents. So which is it Volkswagen? It can't be both... I hate conflicting information, especially official conflicting information  :angry:

« Last Edit: 14 March 2018, 14:27 by JHWP »

Offline CSS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2019, 14:59 »
This is an old thread but it amazes me how long the VW maintenance intervals are for air filter and cam belt.  Air filter change after 6 yrs/ 60k is ridiculous.  I know they want to reduce servicing costs but surely this is detrimental to engine performance and emissions.  Air filters look dirty after 20k!  Maybe I am out of touch with modern engine designs, but it doesn’t feel right.
Rant over!