Author Topic: Aftermarket Xenons and Rear LEDs  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Dirty_Chez

• Just got here
Aftermarket Xenons and Rear LEDs
« on: 27 September 2017, 13:53 »
On the look out for a mk6 gti for a new contract i am about to start.

As i am looking purely at putting miles on the car , i aint looking for a garage pony. So all these cars come with the terrible halogens.
Looking at these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-MK6-VI-DRL-BI-XENON-HEADLAMPS-and-LED-REAR-LAMPS-LIGHTS-SET-FREE-HID-KIT-/292150845371?hash=item44058c1fbb:g:2pAAAOSwiQ9ZQVc2 on ebay , has anybody fitted them?

Also does the mk6 gti do ~30mpg @80mph.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Aftermarket Xenons and Rear LEDs
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2017, 18:05 »
If you're gonna put a lot of miles on the car I wouldn't pay 590 quid for 'show use' headlights - basically the seller is already telling you they aren't road legal.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Dirty_Chez

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 09:45 »
Its basically because they dont self adjust , once manually adjusted correctly you will pass an MOT

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2017, 16:32 »
They are 35W ones aren't they?
If so you will need auto self levelling, otherwise they are not road legal (ignoring that they also don't have an E mark which they'd need too).

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2017, 13:20 »
Although they should be fitted and working with factory xenons, washers and auto levelling are rarely tested at MOT time. Interestingly, my Amarok has factory xenons but neither washers or auto levelling. Maybe rules for commercials are different too?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2017, 18:31 »
They are different I think, or VW have only put 25W lamps in. For those you don't need self-levelling and washer jets.

thinker_monkey

« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2017, 10:22 »
Apologies for jumping in on this thread, didn't want to open up another discussion as this has been discussed it seems a number of times.

I've seen these as well on eBay from the same seller and have been unsure. I've got stress cracks on the headlights so need to get them swapped. Would it be worth doing a HID kit instead? Not sure if they are road-legal? Also are the rear-lights subject to the same MOT scrutiny?

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2017, 18:53 »
All exterior lights on car need to have an 'e' mark on them, then they are approved for road use.
The lights carrying such a mark (including head- and taillights) were tested by a member state (number behind the e tells you country that gave approval) approved testing station with the manufacturer specified light bulbs, xenons (not HID aftermarket kits from China) or complete LED clusters (not LED 'bulbs').

99% off the stuff on eBay won't be road legal.