Author Topic: SSSH! It's a secret!  (Read 7931 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
SSSH! It's a secret!
« on: 26 February 2017, 18:16 »
Okay, so I've been road testing some of the GTD's closest rivals. I have tried a new Ford Focus ST petrol (Ford quote 250bhp)and a new Focus ST diesel(180bhp quoted).Now the GTD is quoted at 181bhp by our leaders (I mean VW) and without a hint of biased, I can report that the GTD felt a lot more powerful than the ST diesel!

TBH I reeeeally liked how both versions of the Focus ST drove, but the diesel ST felt it had around 20bhp less than the GTD. The petrol version of the ST, felt like it had about the same power as the GTD. I  drove all three (GTD being mine) back to back, so had a very good memory of all three cars.

I have heard that VW do under rate their power figures, or maybe Ford is over rating..

How about that!?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 21:41 by GTDING »

Offline Zack

• Not said much yet
Re: SSSH! It's a serect!
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2017, 19:37 »
'Serect'?

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2017, 20:52 »
Secret me thinks..?
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2017, 20:57 »
I meant that perhaps VW under rate their powwwer figures, secrectly..

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2017, 21:06 »
I meant that perhaps VW under rate their powwwer figures, secrectly..

I think its a referance to your mispelling in the title

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2017, 21:34 »
oops!  :grin:

That's the secret revealed, I can't spell!  :wink:

Anyhoo, anyone know about VW's powwwer figures being conservative?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2017, 22:03 »

Most are within a couple of BHP from the factory. For me its how and where the power is developed. Don't forget it's all about 'average' power throughout the rev range

EVO magazine did a drag race between the Golf R and the Focus RS.....the Focus was quicker off the line but the R reeled it in through the midrange and by the end there was only 2 tenths in it

http://www.evo.co.uk/drag-battles/18025/ford-focus-rs-vs-volkswagen-golf-r-which-is-fastest

Remember the Focus has another 45bhp or so MORE than the Golf

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2017, 22:21 »

Most are within a couple of BHP from the factory. For me its how and where the power is developed. Don't forget it's all about 'average' power throughout the rev range

EVO magazine did a drag race between the Golf R and the Focus RS.....the Focus was quicker off the line but the R reeled it in through the midrange and by the end there was only 2 tenths in it

http://www.evo.co.uk/drag-battles/18025/ford-focus-rs-vs-volkswagen-golf-r-which-is-fastest

Remember the Focus has another 45bhp or so MORE than the Golf

Thanks, I enjoyed the vid! I think I would loose sleep choosing between those two (R & RS). Both look great and go like poo off a shovel. Yes, the Golf has the torque right where you need it, low down in the rev range. It guess the Focus has it abit higher? Having said that, I have seen videos and read that VW do quote less than you get on the power front..

On that note, why did we all choose the performance Golf's over the Focus ST's? For me, it was safety first, then quality of materials, then ease of drivability, then power delivery, then my wife chose it (actually put that first :smiley:). Looks wise, Golf and Focus ST's are both nice looking, in their own ways I think.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 22:25 by GTDING »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2017, 09:05 »
On that note, why did we all choose the performance Golf's over the Focus ST's? For me, it was safety first, then quality of materials, then ease of drivability, then power delivery, then my wife chose it (actually put that first :smiley:). Looks wise, Golf and Focus ST's are both nice looking, in their own ways I think.

For me the thing which stops me having (another) Ford is the utterly cheap and nasty interior.

Their infotainment system is also like something from the 1990's too and looks like some sort of ghetto blaster from Dixons.

All of this is a shame, because I am sure that as a car, the Focus is pretty good. I know in group tests it often is said to be better than a Golf - but then again the latest Astra incarnation is supposed to be better than both...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: SSSH! It's a secret!
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2017, 09:10 »
I looked at both the GTD and the ST3D and for me the ST was slower and the torque was horrible, it came in with a bang and then nothing. The torque steer had the car all over the place especially on road crowns. The interior of the ST felt very cheap except for the seats which were very nice and having electric seats was a plus. However I have heard that the padding in the seats softens up after a while and you can feel the metal through it.

Overall there was no compition because the GTD was so refined.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17