Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 542442 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1890 on: 21 September 2018, 21:11 »
Good efforts Watts and Rebecca. Welcome back to the clean car owners club Watts :smiley:.

Just a thought, I powerwash my car first then snowfoam, should I snowfoam first on to a dry car? Taa :smiley:

Something I also wasn’t sure of when I first got my pressure washer.

Like Rebecca, I also snowfoam onto a dry car as I found it clings better to a dry car than a wet car. While the snow foam’s dwelling, I fill my three buckets and clean the ‘fiddly bits’; wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tailpipes, the bottoms of the sills (the bit below the black extended sill trim that’s covered with stone chip protection), wheel arch liners and (with a detailing brush) badges, front grille and inside the petrol filler flap and door shuts.

By the time I’ve cleaned those bits, most of the snow foam has slid off the car, so if there’s any left in bottle attached to the lance, I give the car a quick second snow foaming until the water runs clear through the snow foam lance, which also helps minimise the risk of the lance clogging up. Then I pressure wash any remaining snow foam off before the main wash.

Thanks SR. I think I might dedicate my time whilst the snowfoam does it's thing to the appreciation of camellia sinensis :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1891 on: 21 September 2018, 21:36 »
Good efforts Watts and Rebecca. Welcome back to the clean car owners club Watts :smiley:.

Just a thought, I powerwash my car first then snowfoam, should I snowfoam first on to a dry car? Taa :smiley:

Like Rebecca, I also snowfoam onto a dry car as I found it clings better to a dry car than a wet car. While the snow foam’s dwelling, I fill my three buckets and clean the ‘fiddly bits’; wheels, brake calipers, exhaust tailpipes, the bottoms of the sills (the bit below the black extended sill trim that’s covered with stone chip protection), wheel arch liners and (with a detailing brush) badges, front grille and inside the petrol filler flap and door shuts.

By the time I’ve cleaned those bits, most of the snow foam has slid off the car, so if there’s any left in bottle attached to the lance, I give the car a quick second snow foaming until the water runs clear through the snow foam lance, which also helps minimise the risk of the lance clogging up. Then I pressure wash any remaining snow foam off before the main wash.

Thanks SR. I think I might dedicate my time whilst the snowfoam does it's thing to the appreciation of camellia sinensis :smiley:

I wasn’t sure what camellia sinensis was so just had to Google it! :grin: No vegetation near my usual car washing spot to tempt me away from cleaning the fiddly bits while the snow foam’s doing it’s thing. :smiley:
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1892 on: 21 September 2018, 21:59 »
I'm only interested in the brewed form :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1893 on: 23 September 2018, 19:00 »
Washed the Tig. White cars are ace  :smiley:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1894 on: 24 September 2018, 09:14 »

Don't think there's a right or wrong as to when whether to use snow foam before or after an initial rinse. Technically though, the correct method would be to use a citrus pre wash first, then rinse then snow foam.  :smiley:

Whilst you do want some cling, you actually want the foam to work its way off the car on its own which is why when you see these ridiculously thick foams whilst it might look great, it's not really doing its job properly...

My 2 jobs this weekend.... Maintenance wash on the GTS and full deep clean on the BMW - this was a serious task as not been properly washed in 3 years and 4k miles! You can see the snow foam literally dripping off which for me means its working.

« Last Edit: 24 September 2018, 09:26 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Margy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1895 on: 24 September 2018, 13:45 »
Introduced myself to a clay bar! Wonderful product! Finished with AF tough prep & tough coat, with a layer of AF Radiance Crème on top. I'd love to post a shiny pic but my lack of IT skills prevent that! Safe to say that it's a very shiny Tornado red GTi.
Tornado red PP, Santiagos, DCC, winter pack.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1896 on: 24 September 2018, 13:51 »
Introduced myself to a clay bar! Wonderful product! Finished with AF tough prep & tough coat, with a layer of AF Radiance Crème on top. I'd love to post a shiny pic but my lack of IT skills prevent that! Safe to say that it's a very shiny Tornado red GTi.

Good work.

Just need to create a free account with https://postimg.cc/

Top tip - for using with a clay bar, don't buy detailing spray. Get a spray bottle, 1 or 2 drops of shampoo and top up with water.

Jim
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1897 on: 24 September 2018, 14:04 »

Don't think there's a right or wrong as to when whether to use snow foam before or after an initial rinse. Technically though, the correct method would be to use a citrus pre wash first, then rinse then snow foam.  :smiley:

Whilst you do want some cling, you actually want the foam to work its way off the car on its own which is why when you see these ridiculously thick foams whilst it might look great, it's not really doing its job properly...

Cheers Jim. Mine works it's way off just fine, was concerned that it might be a bit too quick but the car does come up really clean after. I use the Gtechniq Citrus Foam.

Great jobs on the Porsche and BMW :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1898 on: 24 September 2018, 14:37 »

Top tip - for using with a clay bar, don't buy detailing spray. Get a spray bottle, 1 or 2 drops of shampoo and top up with water.

Or use a clay mitt dunked in a bucket of your regular shampoo mixture.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1899 on: 24 September 2018, 14:38 »

Or use a clay mitt dunked in a bucket of your regular shampoo mixture.

:smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport