Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362602 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
No warranty sadly - I think that the 60,000 mile 'Powertrain warranty' is a VW USA warranty, which again is a shame. I hope if I get nowhere pushing VWCS that I would have grounds to take action that the car is not fit for purpose - a £35000 vehicle (after finance etc) outlay should realistically be expected to last more than 4.5 years or 47,000 miles. I asked the service manager if he was in my shoes would he be satisfied with that offer - he just looked sheepish as he knew it's a disgrace.

You need to push as there is a TPI out which tells the dealership what they need to do

Service Bulletin Number : TB-15-12-01 Date of Bulletin : JUL 23, 2012
NHTSA Item Number : 10045560
Component : ENGINE
Summary :
VOLKSWAGEN: ALL MODELS EXPERIENCE THE TIMING CHAIN SLIPPING, RATTLING NOISES OF THE ENGINE AFTER STARTING, AND ENGINE FAILS TO START. 2008-13 ALL MODELS. *PE

If they can dispute that I would be interested.

RocketRoss is spot on, the chain stretches and then the tensioner does not do its job causing the issue. They need to re-consider. I have the CEO's email address for VW/AUDI/Porsche if you need to push higher.

Neil
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
My son is getting his engine replaced FOC and labour FOC as well They have also given him a Polo R as a loaner. The dealers didn't bother stripping the engine, just had a peep through the spark plug hole with a bore scope. As the valves had hit the pistons, it was new engine time. Talk to VWCS and point them in the direction of the Internet.

Good luck, don't take no for an answer!

Offline RedHP

• I live here
Hey all, sorry to sound 'simple' but what are the signs for this failure issue please?

Ta, Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Hey all, sorry to sound 'simple' but what are the signs for this failure issue please?

Ta, Red

All answers are within this thread! Please read from start and the majority of questions will be answered!
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Obbzi

• I live here

Ta, Red

Sounds very rough on cold start up :sad:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline RedHP

• I live here

Ta, Red

Thanks
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
Red, there are a few clips on here that people have taken you really need to listen to those clips so you can hear it. I didn't have a clue, I got no warning it just went  :cry:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here

Ta, Red

Thanks

Red, i have added the video link to the original post at the top, click and listen mate
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline CamGTI

• Just got here
One more to add to the list:

59-plate
48,000 miles

Failed in November 2013.

New engine covered FOC by VW. Negotiated a 33% discount on labour costs with the dealer, resulting in a bill of around £1,000.

For my car there was no warning. My wife was with the car and it simply failed to start from cold. The AA  recovered it to an independent who had a look and diagnosed a slipped timing chain. This was the first I had heard of it being a potential problem. The independent suggested I speak to VW customer services who advised me to get the car trailered to my local dealer as without an 'official' diagnosis there was no chance of getting any replacement parts covered. VW customer services advised the dealer to fit a complete new engine for free but the dealer wanted to charge me £1,500 labour to fit the engine. In my opinion they should have replaced it for free, but I eventually agreed a 33% discount and got the car back a week later.

I've since covered 3-4000 miles on the new engine with no hassle. The whole episode has taken the shine off what has otherwise been a fantastic ownership experience.

Offline Poached

• I live here
One more to add to the list:

59-plate
48,000 miles

Failed in November 2013.

New engine covered FOC by VW. Negotiated a 33% discount on labour costs with the dealer, resulting in a bill of around £1,000.

For my car there was no warning. My wife was with the car and it simply failed to start from cold. The AA  recovered it to an independent who had a look and diagnosed a slipped timing chain. This was the first I had heard of it being a potential problem. The independent suggested I speak to VW customer services who advised me to get the car trailered to my local dealer as without an 'official' diagnosis there was no chance of getting any replacement parts covered. VW customer services advised the dealer to fit a complete new engine for free but the dealer wanted to charge me £1,500 labour to fit the engine. In my opinion they should have replaced it for free, but I eventually agreed a 33% discount and got the car back a week later.

I've since covered 3-4000 miles on the new engine with no hassle. The whole episode has taken the shine off what has otherwise been a fantastic ownership experience.

Thanks for updating the list. As you found out the dealership tried to rinse you for labour costs on a design defect :rolleyes:.