Author Topic: CJA's Golf MK3 GTI 20vt Project.  (Read 58354 times)

Offline CJA321

• I live here
CJA's Golf MK3 GTI 20vt Project.
« on: 07 May 2012, 20:39 »
So been on here a while and thought it would be time to start a project thread instead of uploading different threads and clogging shiz up  :cool:

Bought her for the handsome sum of £300, 121K On the clock, Needed a gearbox, Classic DFQ noisy gearbox. Was a homer the boy didnt want to fix, so guess i thought id see some potential  :rolleyes:

When i got her

Decent enough RS6's, but had stupid 225/45/17 tyres on, and standard springs. Apart from that, had near full service history and was bog standard apart from stereo and ipod dock  :smug:

Even had one of the sales receipts for when it swapped hands at 2 years old, was originally a lease car to start with

£10925 Mk3's were worth money at some point then  :smug:

So anyway... when i bought it, the gearbox was already removed, by myself on the homer, even charged him for my time removing it...  :evil: :evil: :evil: so that was a boost. Decided that if the box was out, taking the engine out would be a doddle.

So out she came for a spruce-up, at this point i didn't realise how poor the 8v was  :embarassed:

Sourced a new gearbox and gave it a tidyup

Engine tidyed up, didnt go to town on it, as no leaks etc and gonna sound bad, but couldnt really be bothered at the time  :grin: :grin:

New timing belt etc and the engine and gearbox went back in, didnt get any pics of this unfortunatly  :cry:

Got a badge-less the grill and stuck it on the road

Pic beside my friends VR at college

Waaaaaaay to high, and feck knows what i was thinking with a white badge and huge tyres  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :grin: Looked total gash next to mates slammed VR

Got some 205/40/17 tyres and whacked them on, In Inverness there's a seriously dodjey Albanian guy who sells second hand tyres from his "Workshop" So got 2 toyo T1-S's near enough new and two budget tyres for £60 and sold my 225's on for £80  :cool: :cool:

So went and bought some coileys and whacked them on. Hot Tuning bad boys, rides awful but gets rid of the archgap

Also were I was staying when i was at college, the B+B owner turned out to be a total DubNut... Turned out his daughters boyfriend was doing up a MK3 also, but unfortunatly he had died in a motorbike accident before it was finished. So he had loads of stuff he wanted rid of, for nothing.... Even offered money but he wouldnt take it, gave me a set of Goodridge brake hoses and a genuine set of Hela Quads, was delighted!!

All fitted

Then MOT time came around, Car was rotten underneath, Both front jack points, inner sills where the bungs go and both rear and front floors, again were the bungs go  :cry:

Cant weld very well, so called in a homer and got it all done for £100

Seam sealed and undersealed the whole lot  :cool:

Things took a slowdown for a while due to work commitments... was in dire need of a new toolbox...

Stupid Snap-On salesman... Got £250 for my old box though, which i still have... More than i paid in the first place  :cool:

So just did little bits and pieces. Bought a new badge and painted my grill and got direct cold air feed kit

Got a seccond had Magnex backbox off fleabay, and had a straight throughcat back middle pipe made up at local Custom Craft

And just over the year iv owned the car rust had started to seep in even more....

So decided id get a seccond hand tailgate and paint it myself, as paintshop prices around here are stuuuuuupidly high for some reason  :undecided:
Filled and welded a plate in for the wiper, looks okay to me, but far from perfect. And the paint is a slightly differant shade.... Cheers Halfrauds  :grin:

Then got sick of my wheels, id curbed them loadsa times  :sick: Was looking at some differant wheels but couldnt really afford them. So back down to halfrauds... Got 2tins Antracite paint, 2Primers, 2PU Laquer for £35 with my friends staff discount card as im 2nd cardholder!!

Test trying one of them, still wasnt to sure if it would look better or not

Was pritty delighted with the finnish tbh, especially with it being just outa a can!

Time had come time finally do something about my fogs also, Tinting spray was £12 a can??!? Thought nuts to that, went upto MorayTints and got some off cuts of some headlight linting film, just works like a sticker. Got it for nothing and was pritty impressed at it.

Fitted the tyres, Was pooping myself fitting the tyres on with fresh paint and re-painted the calipers and fitted new pads all round

And then thats about as far as iv got for now. Short of re-painting the whole car and an engine conversion theres not alot left to do IMO.

Need a lether interior, if anyone is selling one and willing to ship it up north?  :nerd: :smug:

And then after a good clean today, wheels sealed with Autoglym wheel sealant and T-Cutted and then fully polished  :smiley:

I KNOW i'm going to get hate for that Bra... But i personally quite like it with everything dark on the car  :tongue:

So thats it for now, comment and advice welcome. Haters gonna hate  :tongue:
« Last Edit: 13 July 2013, 15:00 by CJA321 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: CJA's Golf MK3 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2012, 21:05 »
Apart from the bra a very nice mk3 :afro:, looks loads better on the darker wheels.

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012, 21:11 »
Love that colour I had an 8v many moons ago the same,is it called dusty mauve? Car looks really clean and at first wasnt keen on the RS6s on a mk3 but soon as youve changed the colour they look really good nice work  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline Junior74

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012, 21:19 »
Nice...wheels look loads better mate, good job!!!!  :smiley:

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012, 21:29 »
Thanks, i love the colour also. Not seen another with it tbh, think because its more a mk4 colour? Its called Blue Anthracite pearl iirc. Looks a differant colour in every light  :smiley:

Gavv8

« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2012, 21:40 »
I quite like the bonnet bra.

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2012, 21:58 »
That must be the right name for the colour and ive got it wrong  :grin: its a lovely colour anyway  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2012, 09:13 »
Liking those wheels but not the center caps and get rid of your bra!!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2012, 10:20 »
Liking those wheels but not the center caps and get rid of your bra!!

Yeah centre caps came the wrong colour off ebay. My Bra hides my stonechips   :drool:

why do people hate them so much?  :grin:

Offline Junior74

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2012, 23:01 »
Because they look sh*t!!!!! (in my opinion....)