Author Topic: Harman / Kardon  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Snowman8888

• Not said much yet
Harman / Kardon
« on: 13 December 2020, 11:06 »
Hi, I am struggling to find any information on the upgraded sound system for my ordered Golf VIII. Does anyone know if this unit can take sd cards (and what size) and what sort of files it can play? Thanks.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Harman / Kardon
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2020, 12:24 »
It's an amplifier and speaker upgrade, it makes no difference to the rest of the system  :smiley:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Snowman8888

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2020, 14:12 »
Ah, thank you, that's helpful 🙂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2020, 23:24 »
I don't know if the mk8 has sd card slots like the mk7 did, failing that you definitely can plug in USB sticks or your phone or do Bluetooth or streaming services via your phone.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2020, 14:41 »
Ok, from my testdrive today... no it doesn't take SD cards.

Media sources are either from your phone (plugged in and connected as a USB drive or streamed via bluetooth from media on your phone or from something like spotify etc) OR from some other USB device plugged into one of the two USB ports. Only one of the two USB ports is data enabled, the other is only power. They are USB-C connectors, so be careful about what choice of USB stick you are using - the old school ones won't work.

PS I was surprised to see it is HK now...I thought you'd made a typo, but no, VW is HK now and not DynAudio.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Snowman8888

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2020, 17:30 »
Thanks for this, I always liked playing from my sd card as thought sound quality was better. I hope HK system us as good as the Dynaudio which I always rated.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2020, 21:24 »
As long as you don't use Bluetooth it will be the same... The physical media isn't the thing which degrades the sound. Using a USB stick or storing the files on your phone will be the same.