Author Topic: mot check list  (Read 102431 times)

Offline steviem

• I live here
Re: mot check list
« Reply #30 on: 28 November 2005, 12:07 »
Wow, It looks like its ok to dehandle the doors too...I guess they had to do that because of TVRs.

Offline ronnie'C'

• Here all the time
  • MKVI GTi and a MK3 VR6 (lhd)
« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2005, 22:14 »
I heard recently that the spare wheel is checked if it is present - BUT, it is not mandatory. Therefore, if it isn't in the car to start with they don't check it and you don't fail :wink:

A NICE LITTLE TIP FOR YA - I always say that i don't carry a spare cos its too much hassle to get it out with my boot stuffed full of speakers and amps and stuff :huh: i've only had one tester actually open the boot and he took one look at the sub box and closed it again :rolleyes:

The only thing that your car can fail for on the spare wheel is if it is not secured correctly. Tread, wear, holes in the walls does not matter as long as the wheel is secure.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2005, 09:53 »
Dont you have to carry a jack & wheel brace too  :nerd:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline ronnie'C'

• Here all the time
  • MKVI GTi and a MK3 VR6 (lhd)
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2005, 19:28 »
I heard recently that the spare wheel is checked if it is present - BUT, it is not mandatory. Therefore, if it isn't in the car to start with they don't check it and you don't fail :wink:

A NICE LITTLE TIP FOR YA - I always say that i don't carry a spare cos its too much hassle to get it out with my boot stuffed full of speakers and amps and stuff :huh: i've only had one tester actually open the boot and he took one look at the sub box and closed it again :rolleyes:

The only thing that your car can fail for on the spare wheel is if it is not secured correctly. Tread, wear, holes in the walls does not matter as long as the wheel is secure.

sorry to be a nerd :nerd: but I checked again with referance to the spare wheel and all I can find is that "any externally fitted spare wheel and/or carrier is securely attached to the vehicle"  and can only fail for "An externally fitted spare wheel or carrier insecure to the extent that it islikely to fall off."

As for the jack, no need to have, I can't see anything

Offline sc

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 01 April 2006, 09:40 »
just a tip on the numberplate lights the palte has to have illumination on it. But it doesn't matter if it does bugger all, my old bmw passed with one of those tail tidy things for bikes as a numberplate light and that didn't light the plate at all.

Offline cheesypeanut

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 16 August 2006, 22:37 »
I have a small crack in the plastic of my front indicator. Is this going to be a problem come MOT time?

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #36 on: 17 August 2006, 14:26 »
I have a small crack in the plastic of my front indicator. Is this going to be a problem come MOT time?

You may be ok as long as it doesn't show any white light through it, but I'd still replace it anyway.
......now officially dubless.

Offline piv34uk

• Just got here
« Reply #37 on: 06 October 2006, 22:29 »
 :smiley:Speaking as an MOT tester:.... spare wheel is only checked for the cage security if its slung underneath.
Reg lamp must be fitted, if theres 2,3 or 4 they must all work
Number plates as long as there fitted it doesnt matter what colour they are for the MOT.. different matter for the police though as its one of their regulations..
Cracks and other damage to indicators/red lenses are ok so long as no white light is seen
High level brake lamp if fitted and does not work is not a reason for failure, we as testers have to presume its not wired so the benefit of the doubt goes to the presenter
Rear wipers are not tested
Reverse lights not tested

Hope this helps
Phil
LACK OF PLANNING ON YOUR BEHALF DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MINE

Offline Mk1cabby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 26 October 2006, 11:29 »
Thanks Phil... :wink:
[img]

Offline magic_tree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 05 November 2006, 12:57 »
Same thing on my mk1 tin top. reverse lights dont work. I spent ages trying to get them to work, same thing with the switch on what must be a replacement gearbox. I was going to wire in a dash board switch for the and when I checked with a mechanic whether it was acceptable, he said dont bother as it will pass with out them. He was right, its been through to mots now and passed with them not working. Still cant see where I am going in reverse at night though! Mind you, as you know, in a mk1 with stock headlights its much the same when going forward.
Lhasa Green MK1 GTI
Red (Varying shades) MK2 GTI