Author Topic: Almost total loss of DAB reception  (Read 2363 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Almost total loss of DAB reception
« on: 29 March 2019, 22:11 »
With the R going soon (got 5a notification today that the wife's Polo GTI+, so about 6 weeks to get here from South Africa via Emden), just want to make it ship-shape for private sale or p/x.

Since we drove back to Tyneside from Manchester airport last Nov, the DAB reception has been abysmal. I think all that flitting between Tyneside/Teesside/Yorkshire/Lancashire source has done something.

Yes I have a dashcam, it's been in 3 years without affecting signal. The Polo GTI we already have has the same model of dashcam and it doesn't affect DAB in that car.

I've done 3 factory resets, to no avail - reception is almost zero on all stations in the Tyneside and National groupings of stations.

Any other suggestions before I go back to the dealership (still have some warranty on the 5 year extended warranty)?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
Re: Almost total loss of DAB reception
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2019, 23:39 »
Interesting- I’m in Lancashire and the DAB radio has been a bit off this week- I wonder if it’s more a local signal/transmitter problem?

So much so I googled transmitter issues for Winter Hill etc, didn’t  get anything to go on. With your comments Im hopeful it’s just s temporary glitch - normal service will be restored shortly!!

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2019, 06:47 »
I’m in Lancashire and my dab signal flits in and out quite a bit. Odd.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline STmichael

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2019, 07:53 »
I had a similar issue where I could only get a few dab stations on the wife’s polo blue gt. To turned out to be a problem with the aerial base on the roof. Dealers fitted a new one and all was ok.
GTD drivers know best!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2019, 08:08 »
Roof aerial sometimes gets water ingress in it so dealer should just replace. Becoming quite a common issue apparently.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2019, 08:41 »
Roof aerial sometimes gets water ingress in it so dealer should just replace. Becoming quite a common issue apparently.

I'll get it booked in at Pulman to sort. I wonder how many more issues are common but only manifest themselves after the (normal) 3 year warranty is up?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2019, 11:45 »

Actually Chris, I don't have a roof aerial, as I have just noticed after washing both cars. My Polo has one (Presumably for the GPS/NAV). The Golf doesn't. Did you only get an external aerial prefacelift if you specced NAV on the Golf? Were there filaments in one of the rear glass panels acting as an antenna if you didn't have NAV?

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2019, 14:46 »
Interesting- I’m in Lancashire and the DAB radio has been a bit off this week- I wonder if it’s more a local signal/transmitter problem?

So much so I googled transmitter issues for Winter Hill etc, didn’t  get anything to go on. With your comments Im hopeful it’s just s temporary glitch - normal service will be restored shortly!!

I’m convinced it’s a transmission issue, all working fine these last couple of days; just a odd blip me thinks

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2019, 17:11 »

Actually Chris, I don't have a roof aerial, as I have just noticed after washing both cars. My Polo has one (Presumably for the GPS/NAV). The Golf doesn't. Did you only get an external aerial prefacelift if you specced NAV on the Golf? Were there filaments in one of the rear glass panels acting as an antenna if you didn't have NAV?
yes only roof aerial on nav cars Matt. If you're trading it in I wouldn't bother doing anything with it, let the dealer sort it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2019, 17:28 »
^ There's nothing wrong with reception in Tyneside, our Polo.picks up all stations all of the time. The Golf will pick up one (or none) DAB station on a full scan and play ths station about 2% of the drive.