Author Topic: New tyre time - wheel refurb? What to go for?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: New tyre time - wheel refurb? What to go for?
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2020, 15:16 »
The offset will have no impact on how much protection a tyre will give a rim as if the offset changes (moving the wheel in/out) the tyre will move with it, giving exactly the same amount of rubber protruding past the rim.

Also, 8" wide with an ET of 45mm will nicely fill the arches. If anyone was being picky and wanted a "flush fitment" like the cool kids have, you could add a 5mm spacer, but I reckon it'll look spot on without anyway.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2020, 15:21 »
The offset will have no impact on how much protection a tyre will give a rim as if the offset changes (moving the wheel in/out) the tyre will move with it, giving exactly the same amount of rubber protruding past the rim.

I was just wondering as I'd be looking at a wider wheel with the same tyre, therefore it would be stretched more. I'm looking at the width, not the offset!  :laugh:

I figured it probably wouldn't matter, but on the diagram in my previous post you can kind of see the angle the tyre will be stretched at, and I wondered if that would negate the extra rim protection

Any input on the 19" P Zero vs 18" PS4 comparison?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2020, 15:35 »
It's not so much the change offset that is eroding the rim protection, more the extra width of the 8J rim meaning the inner edge of the tyre won't turn back in on itself as far as it would do with a 7.5J rim.

The lower offset will result in the outer edge of your wheels being slightly closer to kerbs and in theory have more chance of hitting them.
7.5 GTD

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2020, 15:42 »

I was just wondering as I'd be looking at a wider wheel with the same tyre, therefore it would be stretched more. I'm looking at the width, not the offset!  :laugh:

I figured it probably wouldn't matter, but on the diagram in my previous post you can kind of see the angle the tyre will be stretched at, and I wondered if that would negate the extra rim protection

Any input on the 19" P Zero vs 18" PS4 comparison?

I assumed as I couldn't see the pic lol. Just checked and the recommended width for an 8" rim is either 225 or 235 depending where you look so the protection should still be good. I'm running 235/35R19 Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics on my 8.5" wide rims and the rim protection is still pretty good on mine.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2020, 16:25 »
When you look on Performance Alloys, some are really quite cheap, about £70 - £80 a corner. What makes them so cheap? Lower quality? Brand name?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2020, 16:28 »
Usually cheaper because they are cast and not flow formed or forged.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2020, 16:41 »

And what is the problem with that? Weight/durability? I'm struggling to find a site that is easy to cross-shop wheels that lists their weights. I'm just looking for, ideally, something lighter than the Brescias, which I gather are rather heavy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2020, 17:02 »

And what is the problem with that? Weight/durability? I'm struggling to find a site that is easy to cross-shop wheels that lists their weights. I'm just looking for, ideally, something lighter than the Brescias, which I gather are rather heavy

Yes

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/the-strength-difference-between-cast-flow-formed-and-forged-wheels/
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2020, 17:47 »

Yes

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stories/the-strength-difference-between-cast-flow-formed-and-forged-wheels/

So I'm guessing the CMWheels reps are cast? People seem to be happy with them, right?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2020, 17:52 »
cast 19's start to get real heavy... unsprung weight starts to work the suspension hard and the ride quality really degrades.

If you are going to look for 19's definitely really consider weight and look for robust shape unless they are forged. Flimsy cast 19's are gonna break, heavy cast 19's are going to make your ride terrible.

Personally, if going for third party 19's, light and forged and spend the money.