Author Topic: Occasional Exhaust Smell In Cabin  (Read 2419 times)

Offline chinnyhill10

• Just got here
Occasional Exhaust Smell In Cabin
« on: 12 January 2019, 22:35 »
Hi, back with a Golf after a few years away with an A3 (which to be honest is just a Golf but they stick 20% on the price) and have a 2012 MK6 GTI DSG which I have been running since May.

It appears the car has been mapped by R-Tech at some stage (I had no idea when I bought it and would probably have left well alone) but it runs pretty well aside from a few niggles. Can't complain really, it's a freebie I guess. Guys at my local indie seem to think it's just a straight map with nothing extra.

Before Xmas a coil pack went which made it run poorly but I replaced all 4 and also had the car fully serviced by by indie who also did the plugs, cam follower and PCV. Still have a slight rattle and occasional hesitation at around 2.5k rpm but as I say, niggles.

What I am concerned about is an occasional smell of fumes in the cabin. Hard to pinpoint why and how really. Running along the road it won't happen. Will happen if the car is standing still and cold (kind of predictable I guess) but the more puzzling is when you get a slight whiff when the car is hot and you have just pulled up. But even then it happens under very specific circumstances.

Take today, a nice run down the M3. Pull off and stop at lights, nothing. Pull across to the next set of lights on the roundabout,  pull up and 10 seconds later, the smell happens and will then subside. Sometimes also happens when I pull up at home. But again, not always.

Anyone have any idea? Driving me nuts to the extent I was starting to think it was all in my head until the Mrs smelt it. Whatever it is, it is small and occasional. And I did take our household CO2 meter out for a drive (which has a readout) and it recorded nothing. So at least I'm not going to end up unconscious!

Cheers.

Offline david25

• I live here
Re: Occasional Exhaust Smell In Cabin
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2019, 09:11 »
A got a STRONG smell after a temporary locked injector.

Any fault codes?
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline chinnyhill10

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2019, 20:41 »
No codes. Car totally clear. Last code (since removed) was when one of the coil packs went.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2019, 21:24 »
The only thing to do is check it for leaks and check pipework under bonnet for any other leaks that may be causing the smell.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline chinnyhill10

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2019, 22:33 »
The only thing to do is check it for leaks and check pipework under bonnet for any other leaks that may be causing the smell.

Might see if I can get a local garage to have a look as I don't fancy driving it all the way to my indie who usually does my work. Cheers.

Offline doberman19

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2019, 16:47 »

Might see if I can get a local garage to have a look as I don't fancy driving it all the way to my indie who usually does my work. Cheers.
Hi, back with a Golf after a few years away with an A3 (which to be honest is just a Golf but they stick 20% on the price) and have a 2012 MK6 GTI DSG which I have been running since May.

It appears the car has been mapped by R-Tech at some stage (I had no idea when I bought it and would probably have left well alone) but it runs pretty well aside from a few niggles. Can't complain really, it's a freebie I guess. Guys at my local indie seem to think it's just a straight map with nothing extra.

Before Xmas a coil pack went which made it run poorly but I replaced all 4 and also had the car fully serviced by by indie who also did the plugs, cam follower and PCV. Still have a slight rattle and occasional hesitation at around 2.5k rpm but as I say, niggles.

What I am concerned about is an occasional smell of fumes in the cabin. Hard to pinpoint why and how really. Running along the road it won't happen. Will happen if the car is standing still and cold (kind of predictable I guess) but the more puzzling is when you get a slight whiff when the car is hot and you have just pulled up. But even then it happens under very specific circumstances.

Take today, a nice run down the M3. Pull off and stop at lights, nothing. Pull across to the next set of lights on the roundabout,  pull up and 10 seconds later, the smell happens and will then subside. Sometimes also happens when I pull up at home. But again, not always.

Anyone have any idea? Driving me nuts to the extent I was starting to think it was all in my head until the Mrs smelt it. Whatever it is, it is small and occasional. And I did take our household CO2 meter out for a drive (which has a readout) and it recorded nothing. So at least I'm not going to end up unconscious!

Cheers.
I had the fumes issue, check the fuel filter that is located just near the rear wheel arch, drivers side,
I had a slight leak, whether you smelt it or not depended on which way the wind was blowing.