Author Topic: MK5 GTI Tips & Tricks  (Read 64199 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Re: MK5 GTI Tips & Tricks
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2008, 08:11 »
TagnuT - good idea!  :smiley:

Phil - whadya think - move the whole thread into the maintenance and info child section?
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2008, 22:35 »
 :wink:

Offline PhilMart

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 04 September 2008, 00:20 »
Something I noticed last weekend, open the sunroof to the normal fully open position on the dial, once open turn and hold the dial a little further and it then opens all the way.

You dont want to open it further than the normal position when driving at speed though as it just develops the wind wobble sound (sure there is a technical name for this)

The technical name is vietnam chopper as agreed in a earlier thread   :smug:

:laugh: TOtally true!

YOu don't have to open the roof fully (by holding the dial), you get chopper sound at something like 70kmh with roof opened normally and windows closed

Take it back to your dealer then .. I had this and they put in their terms "some felt in there" to stop it wobbling. I thought what a load of crap as it appeared that the winddeflector was not string enough and created teh vibrations, however when I complained and they did this, it started working OK! Until you put the suntroof into fully open as other post .. then drop your back windows an inch or so
2008 GTI Mk V Tornado Red 5 Door 6 Speed Manual Sunroof

Offline clive

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2008, 15:43 »
DSG gearbox (with paddles)
If you're in normal D mode on the gearbox, you can engage manual control by just flipping one of the paddles.  You can then go up and down the gears with the paddles.  It will automatically slip back into D mode if left alone in the same gear for a while, or when you come to a stop.  Another way of changing back to auto is to pull one of the paddles and hold it for about 3 seconds.  All of this is done without having to move the gearstick over to the + - setting.

Only the right/+ paddle will change back to auto when held for ~3 seconds

Offline charly

• Just got here
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2008, 03:11 »
Seeing as there are many new GTI owners who are unaware of the tips and tricks i thought i should enlighten them.

Remote Window Closure / Opening

After leaving the car, press the 'lock' on the remote, and keep it held down (on)....the windows and sunroof will close (only whilst you hold the remote button)

Conversely, pressing the 'unlock' on the remote, and keeping it held down will open the windows (but not sunroof)
Release the remote when they are at desired position!

Mine don't do that they all go up when pressing lock on remote, but only the drivers one comes down when pressing unlock also the alarm chirps if you stop them going all the way back up.

Regards
Charles

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2008, 12:57 »
Seeing as there are many new GTI owners who are unaware of the tips and tricks i thought i should enlighten them.

Remote Window Closure / Opening

After leaving the car, press the 'lock' on the remote, and keep it held down (on)....the windows and sunroof will close (only whilst you hold the remote button)

Conversely, pressing the 'unlock' on the remote, and keeping it held down will open the windows (but not sunroof)
Release the remote when they are at desired position!

Mine don't do that they all go up when pressing lock on remote, but only the drivers one comes down when pressing unlock also the alarm chirps if you stop them going all the way back up.

Regards
Charles

I think that is the Yankie settings.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline chrissy r

• Just got here
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2008, 22:23 »
hi
what would you say was the best fuel to run on? after reading your post.
i have been using bp super unleaded and shell optimax.

class post by the way, did not know the thing about the windows.

cheers chris.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #27 on: 12 December 2008, 17:33 »
A million and one threads already made on which fuel is best. Use the search function to find them.

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2008, 14:11 »
To save you the search, most use either shell v-power or tescos 99-ron. Ignore all others.

m0nkeymafia

« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2009, 23:59 »
Awesome thread thanks!
I just have to try remember all these tips for tomorrow now :) although im very tempted to go out and play with the car now lol