Author Topic: driving other cars  (Read 7411 times)

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: driving other cars
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2007, 01:04 »
lol err....lots of money?

You can buy temporary, even daily insurance (we offer it but min of 14days, max val £15k and not that higher grp cars) so your best bet is to type "daily insurance" "temporary insurance" "short term insurance" and a few variations along that theme into summat like Google and see what comes up.

You will probably find most short term insurers have quite strict rules on driver age, type of vehicle, value etc tho as the premiums they take are a lot lower than annual policies so they have to be very carefull who/what they insure as any large claims could wipe out the premium they have taken for the last few months etc

:smiley:

Offline GuvGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2007, 01:07 »
indeed martin, thanks anyway for the summary. :wink:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2007, 01:18 »
No worries buddy...you got lots of mates with Ferrari's and flash mercs then?  :shocked: :wink:

Offline GuvGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2007, 01:26 »
yeh il post a pic up next time mate. just got a couple mates weddings coming up, they want a convoy of cars, il be in the sl55 the other in the 430 and another in a gallardo. that should be a good enough entrance with the bride in a bentley. Just want piece of mind and get insured on the barstrd.

Offline opel

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2007, 20:47 »
i am a mechanic wud i beable to get insurance to drive any other cars

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2007, 00:05 »
With most of our underwriters unfortunately not, we have one company that would offer it but they are a bit "hit or miss" with their quotes so dunno if they would be good or not.

Maybe some other companies that will give it without question but i think a lot dont if you are in the motor trade.

Martin  :smiley:

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2007, 08:16 »
yeh il post a pic up next time mate. just got a couple mates weddings coming up, they want a convoy of cars, il be in the sl55 the other in the 430 and another in a gallardo. that should be a good enough entrance with the bride in a bentley. Just want piece of mind and get insured on the barstrd.

wouldn't you be better off getting the owner to add you as an additional driver for the period needed? Also , correct me if i'm wrong Martin, but  I think you can only use your NCB on one vehicle at a time so you'd be trying to insure those cars with no NCB aswell if you have insurance on your own car.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2007, 12:27 »
wouldn't you be better off getting the owner to add you as an additional driver for the period needed? Also , correct me if i'm wrong Martin, but  I think you can only use your NCB on one vehicle at a time so you'd be trying to insure those cars with no NCB aswell if you have insurance on your own car.

True that may be a better option if its acceptable to whoever insurers the cars to do a tempory additional driver if they will do it.

For short term insurance NCB is irrelevant anyway

Martin  :smiley:

Offline GuvGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2007, 14:23 »
That is good thinking, well he offered to add my car to their company insurance when i got it but i wanted it in my name. il have to ask again. i just thought incase he cant do it for me to have a look around as i havnt really looked into it and get things going. Cheers tho.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2007, 03:17 »
I've used temporary insurance to borrow my inlaws 4x4.

I used www.dayinsure.com

Basically it's £10 per day (plus admin fee) for any car upto the value of £40,000 for fully comp (and you can add additional drivers for free).
You can set the time your cover starts (ie immediately for picking up a car or a week in advance). Doesn't matter about NCB or points.
They will insure cars over £40k but not sure how much for.

Well worth a look.