Author Topic: driving other cars  (Read 7412 times)

Offline gtibob

• Not said much yet
driving other cars
« on: 01 March 2007, 11:19 »
My comprehensive policy states that i may drive other cars on a 3rd party only basis (with the owners consent). Does the owner of the other car need to have a policy in force on the vehicle. My insurers call centre is in India and they just dont understand the question. They keep reapeating 'you cant drive in the UK without insurance' I've given up trying to explain.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: driving other cars
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2007, 12:24 »
Hello mate,

You would probably find that you may get different answers to this question from different insurers.

Our view is that yes the other vehicle must have insurance on it, otherwise if you get out of it, ie park or get pulled over and asked to step out of the vehicle then that vehicle is then on a public road without insurance, which is an offence.

Hope that helps

Martin  :smiley:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2007, 12:47 »
Are you still not legally in charge of it or responsible for it?
Like in DD cases the cops deem you liable if you have the keys in your possession.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline gtibob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2007, 12:55 »
Thanks Martin, yes everyone seems to have a different opinion but you are obviously more qualified to answer. So leaving a car on the highway without insurance even though its taxed is an offence. This suggests that its the vehicle thats insured not the driver or am I missing something here

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2007, 14:57 »
Are you still not legally in charge of it or responsible for it?
Like in DD cases the cops deem you liable if you have the keys in your possession.

Exactly, thats pretty much what i was getting at.  :smiley:

Thanks Martin, yes everyone seems to have a different opinion but you are obviously more qualified to answer. So leaving a car on the highway without insurance even though its taxed is an offence. This suggests that its the vehicle thats insured not the driver or am I missing something here

You have to be insured to drive the vehicle (which you presumably have the extension to drive other cars under your own policy) but all vehicles must be insured to be on the public road so if you get pulled and asked to get out of the car, that vehicle is then sat on a public road uninsured while you are responsible for it.

Hope that makes sense  :smiley:

Offline mk3-ralf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2007, 23:11 »
sorry quick question..im 18 now but will be 19 when my insurance comes for renewal..if i got a fully comp policy with HIC would i be able to drive any car with the owners consent as tpft? or am i too young?

kun

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2007, 09:26 »
Hi mate,

Most of our policies state you have to be 21 to have this however we do have one underwriter that will allow this for drivers of 19 and up however they will not always quote for all cases so would have to run it thru and see. 

Also you can have driving other cars on Third party fire and theft cover as long as your age and occupation are ok, dunno why everyone thinks its just on comp!  :huh:

Hope this helps

Offline GuvGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2007, 00:37 »
so your sayin if your 21 or above and have fully comp with HIC you can drive any other car with drivers consent. Do you know if this applies to other insurers aswell.

What if the car of consent is a sl55 amg, or a ferrari 430, range rover, 7 series or  bentley so forth. high end cars etc.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2007, 00:46 »
some of our policies offer it from 19 and up, most 21 and up. You dont have to be fully comp (dunno where everyone gets that idea  :rolleyes:) its available on TPFT too, you just have to be old enough, hold a full licence and have an acceptable occuaption (not motor trade etc).

There is no limitation on the type of car (but it is cars not motorbikes, quads, commercial vehicles etc) but bare in mind its third party only on other cars so if you stuff your mates Ferrari in a ditch he aint gonna be too happy!  :wink:

The car cannot be registered to yourself, it must be insured (eg by the owner) and you must have their permission.

No it will vary massivly with insurers as to whether or not you get it.

Offline GuvGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2007, 00:56 »
i see, cheerz martin. im with admiral at the mo. what do i need for a quote on sl55 amg or ferrari 430? for a day or 2?