Author Topic: Mic grip identification / help  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Mic grip identification / help
« on: 02 January 2014, 22:12 »
Was looking at video mic stuff the other day any came across the new Rode Video Mic Go, the main thing of interest is the grip they are using with the GoPro, anyone see a grip like this or knows what it is?

It looks to me a simple 0 shape of plastic / metal with a 1/4" 20 thread on the top for the GoPro tripod mount and then one of the side for the other 1/4" 20 thread which the mic is attached to.

Any help appreciated  :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Mic grip identification / help
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2014, 02:18 »
I suspect it's the carriage that comes with the mic - looks like the standard mic carriage changed for the application.

Been very impressed with my Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro.  Have an outstanding gig recording done with some mates using it and a Zoom H2N sound recorder.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2014, 12:24 »
Where did you find that photo? What application was it for?  I've never seen anyone use a Go Pro with a mic. Go Pro's are mainly used for that angle you can't get with another or main camera and hence you'll be recording audio on another device.
Does the Go Pro have audio controls, because that's what I'd worry about with plugging an external mic into one?
Every mic has a different output level and every shooting situation will require you to adjust the levels.

Most people I know use a separate device (like the Zoom/Edirol/Tascam) recorders and only use the camera audio to sync up the proper recording in post.

I guess the question is, why do you want to just use a Go Pro?

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2014, 13:20 »
the image is one of their publicity photos can be found;

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/videomicgo

Their promo video shows someone using it too.

The reason for using the GoPro is because it's small, lightweight and much more robust than using a DSLR.

The setup pictured or similar could easily be used during activity e.g. skiing, skating, snowboarding etc where a DSLR would be too cumbersome to operate / worry about at the same time.

Have a look at the following vid which illustrates how much of an improvement an external mic makes to the GoPro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4HUyRUjlGw

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2014, 14:38 »
I understand the reason for using an external mic and the GoPro is certainly an ideal camera for certain activities. But mounting such a large mic on the side of the GoPro would make it rather more cumbersome particularly for some activities where balance is key.

I can't see the bracket on the Rode website though. It must be some combination of flash hotshoe bracket to GoPro mount.

Actually looking at that photo, maybe it's just the GoPro with one of these clamps around the Rode shock mount.
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handlebar-seatpost-pole-mount