Author Topic: Intermittent Start Problem - Help!  (Read 4465 times)

Offline ndxturbo

• Not said much yet
Re: Intermittent Start Problem - Help!
« Reply #30 on: 12 October 2014, 13:30 »
you can also read live temp from ECU if you have access to VCDS (compare the temperature from dash with temperature value in ECU - up to 70 degrees they should agree fairly closely.

multimeter is only 5£ in any diy store thou ;)

If I don't have a multimeter then I definitely don't have access to VCSDS ;) (whatever that is haha)

I'll go to the garage round the corner from me tomorrow and ask him if he can test the sensor and about the slow rising temp gauge and no hot air, which I'm guessing is related to the thermostat as you said in my other thread.

When I stop cycling the ignition in the next few days I will know if that has stopped the extended crank issue or not. At least then when I take it to the garage they will have something to work with, one garage has already mentioned that it could be the FPR as well.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #31 on: 12 October 2014, 13:48 »
why not stop cycling ignition now and then just replace the FPR if long crank issue comes back?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X037133035C&_nkw=037133035C&_sacat=0

also just get a multimeter.... cheaper than garage for 10 minutes labour ;)
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline ndxturbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 12 October 2014, 14:32 »
why not stop cycling ignition now and then just replace the FPR if long crank issue comes back?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X037133035C&_nkw=037133035C&_sacat=0

also just get a multimeter.... cheaper than garage for 10 minutes labour ;)

I'm going to do it 1 more time tomorrow, then it's been a week without extended crank, only problem is what if it's not the FPR, then I would have wasted even more money on this problem...could it not be the check valve on the fuel pump? Got the info from here http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-performance-issues?start=5

I mentioned that to the guy at the garage I took it to this week after he claimed there was nothing wrong with it, his response was, "yeah it could be that it's leaking back through",  I can't understand why he wouldn't have checked this (I'm guessing there is a way to check it properly) if he thought it was a possibility  :angry:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 13 October 2014, 19:55 »
You'll need to start somewhere.... you can check fuel pressure with manometer.

Offline ndxturbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 13 October 2014, 20:21 »
You'll need to start somewhere.... you can check fuel pressure with manometer.

Indeed, going to get the thermostat changed this week (if that's the cause of the slow moving temp gauge and no hot air from vents) and maybe that could have been a contributing factor to the hard starts I was getting, will stop cycling the ignition when I get the car back then will be able to tell if thermostat or fuel filter was causing it, if not then I'm slowly but surely narrowing down the cause of it lol  :smiley:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 14 October 2014, 08:01 »
thermostat has absolutely nothing to do with car not starting ;)

if power cycling ignition then you have a problem with fuel pressure leaking; the fuel filter has little to nothing to do with that. FPR or fuel pump (unless you have also running issues, then maybe injector leaking but let's not get ahead of ourselves)...

Offline ndxturbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2014, 14:20 »
thermostat has absolutely nothing to do with car not starting ;)

if power cycling ignition then you have a problem with fuel pressure leaking; the fuel filter has little to nothing to do with that. FPR or fuel pump (unless you have also running issues, then maybe injector leaking but let's not get ahead of ourselves)...

It can't be doing much good for engine performance though if the engine is running cooler than it should? would it not effect start up at all? left the car with the garage yesterday and he said he took it for a drive and he reckons it heated up quickly but did mention there was no hot air so was going to check to see if it the thermostat later on. Also, when driving for say 20+ minutes the temp gauge should be sitting on 90?

Yeah I will update on here as to whether or not the extended crank comes back, if it does then do you think cycling the ignition will do any damage if I leave it like that for a while....broke student over here  :whistle:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 14 October 2014, 17:04 »
buy a haynes and start diy'ing ;)

power cycling should not cause further faults but long term you may see issues...

Offline ndxturbo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2014, 00:18 »
buy a haynes and start diy'ing ;)

power cycling should not cause further faults but long term you may see issues...

Ok so I got the thermostat replaced and that has solved slow temp gauge rising and no heat from the blowers, but today I didn't cycle the ignition and have had two 'sluggish' engine starts....looks like the next step is FPR or Fuel pump  :angry: