Author Topic: little help please  (Read 2638 times)

Offline welshvalver

• Not said much yet
little help please
« on: 22 October 2014, 22:24 »
hay everyone to joined the forum iv been looking through the archive for a bit now and trying to sort a couple of problems with my mk3 gti 16v. at idles it jumps between 1800rpm and 2000rpm and some times drops to 1000 and a nasty crunch going in to revers other than this it starts fine and pulls pritty hard through all the gears touch wood  :rolleyes:. can anyone shed any light on the problems i was thinking tps just wanted other peoples views on it before i go buying bits.

thanks in advance welshvalver  :cool:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: little help please
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2014, 10:47 »
HI, the grinding when selecting reverse will be due to the excessive revs. Not sure on the cause of high idle but i'd check there is no vacuum leaks first.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline welshvalver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2014, 20:17 »
ok cool il have a good look around cheers

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2014, 11:58 »
Yes TPS can cause problems, but its very likely to be your idle control valve playing up letting too much air in.
The idle control valve is at the front of the engine under that black plastic spark plug lead holder -remove this
With the ignition on you should be able to feel the valve vibrating, if its not it may be gummed up or dead.
They can be cleaned with good soak in carb cleaner.

If it is vibrating, it could be an air leak allowing un-metered air that the engine management cant control, this can be diagnosed with the following tests with engine on:
Try partially squashing the small pipe coming from the top half of the air box -the revs should drop
Now try fully squash the pipe and the engine should die -if the engine tries to keeps running you have an air leak

Lastly, check the wiring going to the TPS, it is routed at the rear of the head above the exhaust manifold.
The insulation gets baked and falls off leaving bare wire, very common issue on ABF engine
Repair is simply cut back to good condition wire and solder in new sections, heat insulation over the repair is a good idea
-BTW there is a redundant pair of wires in that section of the loom, the connector plugs into an empty socket on the small black plastic pipe next to the cam belt cover, not used on UK ABF's so just cut those wires back and insulate.

Offline welshvalver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2014, 21:13 »
cheers i will give those a try. i havnt had the chance to get under the bonnet and start looking. a friend has vagcom just need to get the time to get over to him to scan it that should cut a few things out of the equation or add to it  :huh:  i noticed it will occasionally jurk if your slightly on the throttle if that helps at all.
thanks 

Offline welshvalver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2014, 20:53 »
right guys had my mate plug his vagcom in to the golf and it only came up with one code 00519 manifold pressure sensor. the spade connection was loose so pinched it with some pliers and said i need to give the icv a good clean out he did pinch a few pipes and the car died so no air leaks :smiley:.
now this is were i got confused it has one of them cone filters on it with a with a sensor plumbed in to the alloy pipe its connected to which im assuming will be the maf now he unplugged it and it did nothing while the engine was running should it not die or spluter ect ? he recons its not a standard one but i havent seen under the bonnet of anoth abf to check  :shocked:
any ideas would be great appreciated
cheers     

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2014, 22:12 »
Sounds like you found the std intake temp sensor there,you wont notice any difference just unplugging it

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2014, 16:30 »
Yes, agree with screech, incoming air temperature sensor.

The ABF does not have a MAF, it knows how much fuel to put in from a vacuum pipe from the inlet to the ecu & it uses a MAP sensor within the ECU -a very good idea to replace this pipe with silicone

Has the idle improved after cleaning the ISV & have you tried partially choking the tube whilst its reving high?

Offline welshvalver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2014, 20:24 »
ah right ok cool. no i haven't had the time today iv been working  :huh: il give it a try tomorrow if i get the chance on my dinner hour or it may have to wait till the weekend as im off and il order some silicone pipe and replace the one your talking about.
will keep you gays posted   
cheers guys  :wink: 

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2014, 21:20 »

ah right ok cool. no i haven't had the time today iv been working  :huh: il give it a try tomorrow if i get the chance on my dinner hour or it may have to wait till the weekend as im off and il order some silicone pipe and replace the one your talking about.
will keep you gays posted   
cheers guys  :wink: 

Gays??? lol