Author Topic: Bad PCV valve with video?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline kxtian

• Not said much yet
Bad PCV valve with video?
« on: 10 October 2014, 10:16 »
I have this weird noise in the engine bay as this video shows. Anyone any idea what it is?

(video not mine but same symptoms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N77zsyjNamI

Any help appreciated thanks :)

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
Re: Bad PCV valve with video?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2014, 16:14 »
Locate the PCV on the engine and check whats happening with the pipes connected to it? Like a vacuum being produced in the crankcase, am no quite sure but take the oil filler cap off the top of the engine and see what going on there. Might be excess pressure there, possible blueish oil mist. If the PCV valve is iffy do you get smoke from the exhaust?
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2014, 17:10 »
Iit was the PCV; he text me the other day to say he'd fixed it  :grin:

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2014, 17:45 »

Hell i got paranoid and have been on You Tube watching them clean EGR valves and the like...even the Wheeler Dealer product Terraclean  :grin:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2014, 17:55 »

Hell i got paranoid and have been on You Tube watching them clean EGR valves and the like...even the Wheeler Dealer product Terraclean  :grin:

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline kxtian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2014, 12:31 »
All done now, after the dealers giving me the wrong revised part it's all finally sorted.
Here's the inside of the original, pretty much ripped in half...

Also caked in oil...

Offline mk5GTIDSG

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2014, 14:59 »
Good news!

What part number(s) did you go with in the end?

Thanks

Offline kxtian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2014, 15:28 »
Good news!

What part number(s) did you go with in the end?

Thanks

Went for 06F129101R which is the revised part for 06f129101P apparently.

Offline goodsum

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2014, 20:37 »
Is that squealing coming from the PCV? I have the same sound but its very 'fade in and fade out' and not often constant. I took it to VW and they charged me £65 for the courtesy of telling me it was the clutch release bearing. Now recently I've had some vacuum loss issues and you can hear the leak coming from the engine bay... After watching that video I think the noise that VW told me was the clutch could actually also be the PCV!!!  :angry:

Offline kxtian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2014, 17:44 »
Is that squealing coming from the PCV? I have the same sound but its very 'fade in and fade out' and not often constant. I took it to VW and they charged me £65 for the courtesy of telling me it was the clutch release bearing. Now recently I've had some vacuum loss issues and you can hear the leak coming from the engine bay... After watching that video I think the noise that VW told me was the clutch could actually also be the PCV!!!  :angry:
The squealing doesn't actually come from the PCV but is caused by it. The actual noise comes from down behind the engine really confusing things.
The noise on mine got worse as the engine warmed up. I too thought it could have something to do with the clutch or gearbox because that where the noise seems to be.
Anyway change your pcv, it's that and make sure they give you the correct revised part.