Author Topic: Motor Insurance Database - Solved!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
Motor Insurance Database - Solved!
« on: 21 August 2014, 14:41 »
I've posted this in the insurance section...but no replies and I reckon more people will see it here so posting here too...please don't bend me over if this is against the rules!  :grin:

I need some advice.

I inherited a personal registration number a few years ago, and after putting it on my vehicle found that the database was stating that the plate was insured against 'Mitsubishi Fork, Agricultural' type vehicle. Now I'm pretty sure my Seat Leon FR was a Seat hot hatch and not a Mitsubishi tractor, so some to-ing and fro-ing between the MID and Admiral as it was at the time (both denying fault) finally got the problem sorted.

Fast forward to July 2012, new car (ED35), same insurance company. Car was showing as the Golf on the database. I thought that was the last of the problems.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, same car, different insurance company from the start of the year. The details now show as the same Mitsubishi again. After getting in touch with my insurance company, they have informed me there are 2 entries on the Askmid system for my reg  :angry: :shocked:

I've checked vehicle details on the DVLA system, which are correct and have no trace of the plate on a Mitsubishi. Quite awkward as I am now out of the country for a few months with work... but can anyone shed any light on this?!
« Last Edit: 23 October 2014, 12:25 by Big_Dave »
Carbon Grey Edition 35, DSG, ACC, Cruise Control, Luxury Pack, RCD 510, TPMS

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Motor Insurance Database
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2014, 17:53 »
No idea what is going on but offer this suggestion. Off-line database used by the insurance companies and not updated regularly, since the DVLA entry is correct, so gives the incorrect vehicle details.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2014, 20:39 »
Do you mean the insurers database is incorrect or the DVLA?

The concern I have is that the bobbies use the MID system...?

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2014, 09:30 »
Insurers database would be my guess. Having said that after I sold my last car and went through the process of informing DVLA, I got a call from the police about a month later about dangerous driving near a school!! Seems to take an age for DVLA to change their database as well or MID to catch up. But you have checked the DVLA and that is correct so would not worry.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2014, 08:10 »
Insurers database would be my guess. Having said that after I sold my last car and went through the process of informing DVLA, I got a call from the police about a month later about dangerous driving near a school!! Seems to take an age for DVLA to change their database as well or MID to catch up. But you have checked the DVLA and that is correct so would not worry.

Hmm ok. The biggest issue, because I can prove I am insured, is that I'm guessing I will start getting pulled regularly for the wrong vehicle matching to the plate...unless ANPR doesn't go into that much detail. Getting pulled every time I pass a bobby would soon stretch my patience!!

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Motor Insurance Database - Solved
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2014, 12:25 »
Finally sorted

Apparently someone else was insuring their tractor... on my plate number  :shocked:

Calls into question how much you can trust the insurance and DVLA to communicate with all these 'automated systems'...  :rolleyes:

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Motor Insurance Database - Solved!
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2014, 19:51 »
Glad you got to the bottom of this. Does that mean you can legally buy red diesel. :smiley:

Offline Big_Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Motor Insurance Database - Solved!
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2014, 09:47 »
Means that I needn't have bothered insuring it over the last 2 years and the bobbies wouldn't have known no different... or the DVLA!  :shocked: :rolleyes: