Author Topic: Ultimate VAG trackday - Brands Hatch August bank holiday Saturday 25th  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
Righty then folks, another awesome summer event for us all to attend, at the fabulous Brands Hatch Circuit!

This has been organised and planned by Aaron, and the boys at Commrades of Vag, and if all goes to plan, it should be a massive event!

The idea: a massive VAG only trackday, members from various groups covering the whole VAG range of vehicles, Audi-sport.net, UK-MKIVS, Secret Seat Society, Commrades of Vag, amongst others on the invite list.

Rather than your average trackday where you'll find yourself up against caterfield type things pretending it's a test day, nutters in massive turbo barges, and crazy kids in french hot hatches, this day is all about all things VAG, from your Leon Cupra R's to an RS6 to an Passat tdi estate, if it's VAG, it's welcome!

We have room for up to 60 cars, but we need 30 to make this happen, I reckon we can do that easily, the more the better!

The venue: Brands Hatch - Postcode DA3 8NG

Brands Hatch Indy Circuit is a real favourite amongst trackday drivers. This relatively short circuit is surprisingly difficult to perfect with double apexes at both Druids and Clearways. The swoops and dips add to excitement culminating in Paddock Hill Bend often described as being like dropping off the edge of the world! It should be on the list of must-dos for every trackday driver in the country!

The format:

Open Pitlane - this Represents FAR better value for money than any other format, the format is as follows:

07:30 Signing On 08:30 Briefing 09:00 Track Time Begins 13:00 Lunch 14:00 Track Time Restarts 17:00 Track Time Ends

So that's a massive 7 hours of track time!

The cost:

Numbers depending, the cost SHOULD be £202.50. Standard price for an MSV full day is £225 (pretty reasonable for Brands in mid Summer!), but if you call up Mark and tell him I told you about the event, you get a 10% discount.
This discount also applies to any extras you want, like heltmet hire, or driver training.

So, that's 7 hours of driving for £202.50, just £29 per hour! Pretty cheap when you compare it to a session at Castle combe, £45 for 15 minutes (£180 per hour - OUCH!)

So, to book, all you need to do, is phone or email Mark Lawrence at Club MSV.

You can call him on 0843 453 3000
You can e-mail him at mark.lawrence@clubmsv.co.uk

Or you can just head on over to Event Details

The noise limit at the event will be at a reassuringly high 105dBa measured 1m from the exhaust at 4500rpm,
so high enough for even the loudest of cars, and all road cars are eligable to enter, so there really is no excuse!

I'm dead excited about this already, I booked today, and Mark was very helpful. I've not driven Brands before, but it looks amazing.

For all those who don't want to go on track, but still fancy a great day out at an awesome venue, there will also be a show n shine contest held in the paddock during the day, as well as respresentatives on site from R-tech Power and LVS Racing to discuss all your tuning needs

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
I think comparing this to the VAG Action day is disingenuous.

£40 (not £45) gets you a session on track for 15 minutes.

£180 gets you six sessions (not four).  Another couple of sessions would pretty much fill the whole day.

Open pitlane is all well and good, but you're unlikely to spend all day on track.

Plus Brands Indy circuit is a lot heavier on tyres and brakes than Combe.

I have to say the prospect of that many egos from VAG forums/clubs sends a chill down my spine.  :grin:

I'd rather be out there with Caterfields.  At least they have a heightened sensation of their own mortality, unlike Audi RS6 drivers (in their turbo barges)  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

I have to say the prospect of that many egos from VAG forums/clubs sends a chill down my spine.  :grin:

really? compared to an action day? think you need to remove the blinkers thomas

a bit higher risk than a public open pit lane granted, but greatly reduced compared to combe action days without a doubt. People have such a limited time on circuit they go balls out from the off, on a busy circuit, with a crowd to impress. Open pit lane is more relaxed in comparison

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
really? compared to an action day? think you need to remove the blinkers thomas

No numbnuts I didn't mention the Action Day (which you wouldn't know much about, never having been).  Egos are relatively easy to spot in the traffic and you can normally spot them a mile off.

Never mind blinkers, maybe you should try opening your eyes at all?

This is setting out to be far more hardcore than the Action Day with people having to step up to a much larger wedge of cash, so there will probably be even more terribly important people there, trying to prove a point, rather than a significant portion of nippers taking their cars out on track to try it out which is what a lot of the traffic is at the Action Days.

I think the open pitlane format with club competitiveness rather than sessions means there will be far more ad hoc racing.

The other issue with this is that Brands eats tyres in comparison to Combe - it'll be a far dearer day out in that respect.

Are there costs available for additional drivers for this event?

VeeDubGTI16v

Looks like they are staying firmly attached then  :grin:

Nice bit of ASSuming there as usual thomas

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Nice bit of ASSuming there as usual thomas

Pot/kettle relationship really isn't it, given that you've never been to the VAG Action Day.

VeeDubGTI16v

So that means i can't have an opinion on the matter? You have never been to the event being advertised here remember  :wink:

You do realise it's not an exclusive format once a year for vag car's don't you. You do also realise there is this medium called the internet where people can post up videos and reports, and that people can see what the vag action day is like without attending don't you.

I've been to action days at combe, also to many manufacturer specific taster sessions at brands which are basically the same thing, not that I need to qualify myself to you in order to have an opinion. You seem to have skipped over my points anyway.

Like I said stop assuming things, ASS. This looks like its gonna be a good day so if you don't want to go, then don't.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Looks fun, pity it's not a month later as I'd have stumped up for a slot.

Nick

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
eek, didn't mean to start anything!

Looking back, sadly, I think this event has failled and fallen on it's arse!

Before it was planned, people were asked about the idea, and LOADS said they would be up for it. When it was actually launched, the take up was almost nil.

I think Thomas is correct in some ways, with regards to Egos and potentially worse driving standards, but I still feel that the Combe action days (be they VAG or otherwise) are exceptionally poor value for money to anyone other than a 1 session beginner. Not to mention the horrific standard of driving so often seen at Combe, although I've not done the VAG day, so can't comment on that specifically.

Meh. either way, I've since crashed my car at the Ring and pulled out, and MSV have down graded this to a sessioned day, so it's not worth the money now anyway.

Shame, as it was a nice idea, but as Thomas said, probably more of an Ego trip for those with track cars vs rich boys in RS4/6's, destined to end in tears.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Before it was planned, people were asked about the idea, and LOADS said they would be up for it. When it was actually launched, the take up was almost nil.

Sadly, in the words of David Byrne - same as it ever was.

but I still feel that the Combe action days (be they VAG or otherwise) are exceptionally poor value for money to anyone other than a 1 session beginner. Not to mention the horrific standard of driving so often seen at Combe, although I've not done the VAG day, so can't comment on that specifically.

Oh yes, the standard of people out to prove something at one session on that day is horrific, but you have to accept that about the day and drive accordingly IMO.  As for value for money - I'm willing to put that to one side because I'll be having fun with a bunch of people who I don't see very often - it's worth it as a 'gathering of the clan' type thing.

Shame, as it was a nice idea, but as Thomas said, probably more of an Ego trip for those with track cars vs rich boys in RS4/6's, destined to end in tears.

Would have been FUNNY for the rest of us though.  :grin:

Gutted for you about your car - wouldn't have happened if you had the correct number of driven wheels for an Audi.  :tongue:

Possibly the funniest image I've seen this year:

:grin:
« Last Edit: 07 August 2012, 23:37 by Diamond Hell »