Author Topic: is your track car road legal ????  (Read 4462 times)

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
is your track car road legal ????
« on: 31 May 2012, 18:58 »
i bought a cat c write off and have applied for the log book but dvla sent me a letter saying the car needs to be VIC checked (and pass, which it wont) before theyll issue me with the logbook

the car probably would pass an MOT although we'll never put it back on the road but i just wanted to no if other people have had these issues and how they solved it

i just want the logbook in my name and declare the car sorn ?????

any help or info would be great

Offline murraymint

• I live here
Re: is your track car road legal ????
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 19:17 »
Why won't is pass the vic test?
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2012, 11:16 »
Why won't is pass the vic test?

This.

You're in an odd situation, if you've bought an un-VICed car (done it myself, unintentionally), as I don't think they'll issue a V5 without the VIC being completed.

This does mean you can't SORN it, but I would imagine you're now the registered keeper.  The idea is that you get the VIC done ASAP, but if you don't want to put the car on the road then you're in a sort of no man's land and I'm not sure the DVLA are going to know what the hell to do as you don't fit into the 'normal' categories or behaviour.

Best thing to do is pick up the phone to the DVLA and talk to them - explain your situation and what you want to do with the car.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2012, 11:36 »
OP you do know the VIC check is just a check that the number son the car match those on the V5 and nothing about the repairs right? The only way it would fail is if it had no numbers or the wrong numbers on it.

Mines road legal, well it will be when I put ith rhough the MOT again, and it's a right hoot taking out on the road not to mention also useful for testing it's all good. Nothing worse than spending £100's on a trackday and it breaks down ont he first lap becuase you haven't been able to test it anywhere first.

nick

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2012, 19:19 »
This:
Checking a vehicle’s identity

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.

Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to show ‘substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.
From here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/buyingandsellingavehicle/adviceonbuyingandsellingavehicle/dg_4022107

It says that you have to have a valid MOT and insurance to drive to a centre for a VIC test. (You can drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax). You also need number plates front and back. The MOT rules allow for 'heavily modified' cars i.e. rally cars.

If you car has damaged or removed VIN numbers I assume you will not be able to get a V5...

Offline andybod

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2012, 21:49 »
This:
Checking a vehicle’s identity

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.

Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to show ‘substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.
From here:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/buyingandsellingavehicle/adviceonbuyingandsellingavehicle/dg_4022107

It says that you have to have a valid MOT and insurance to drive to a centre for a VIC test. (You can drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax). You also need number plates front and back. The MOT rules allow for 'heavily modified' cars i.e. rally cars.

If you car has damaged or removed VIN numbers I assume you will not be able to get a V5...

trailer the car to get it vic checked ,if the car has damaged or removed vin numbers i think  the car would end up being registered on a q plate being unidentifiable and you may need to apply for or make up a new vin number ,and yep the golf is still road legal at present after a trip to the ring next week the interior will start to come out and we'll see what happens
« Last Edit: 01 June 2012, 21:50 by andybod »

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2012, 13:10 »
My track car is not road legal,

I just trailer it to the track

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2012, 14:07 »
Trailer it to the vic test, they check it and you can do whatever after the test.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline jonnybravo

• Not said much yet
  • trackday weapon
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2012, 10:54 »
well ive decided to insure the car for a day and drive it to the VIC test station and atleast then the car will be registered and if in the fututr we decide to sell the car we can

cheers for the info