Author Topic: Track pad recomendations  (Read 10761 times)

Offline DOA

• I live here
Track pad recomendations
« on: 01 May 2012, 21:58 »
Yes I have searched and even tried to post in the last track day pads thread but it suggested I start a new thread (go figure  :shocked: though it did turn into a slanging match) so here goes.

Basically I am looking for recomendations on track suitable pads for my Mk2 8V. Sadly, due to the regulations of the sprint series I am going to be entering I have to run standard brakes all round so am in the process of refreshing the complete system (new discs all round, wheel bearings, standard pads at the rear and any hoses/hard lines that look remotely in need of refreshing). Please note, I dont have the handy option to run either 256mm, 280mm or 288mm brakes (annoying as I have a full mk3 front end in the garage lol) so please no suggestions along that route  :smiley:.  Also, I have no intention of spending a fortune on expensive/special brake fluids as I fully understand the limitations of this approach so again, no suggestions along those lines please  :smiley:.

So down to the recomendations and Im going to ask you to be a bit specific if at all possible as the plan at present is to run the car in sprints and the occasional track day as well as using the car on the road from time to time as the fancy takes me. The specifics I am looking for are as follows:

1: Ease of bedding in
2: Ultimate stopping power
3: Progression, feel and modulation
4: Life
5: Brake dust
6: Brake squeel
7: Warm up time (pretty important due to road use and sprint format!)
8: Useability on the road

I know this is an extensive list but any feedback you can give is appreciated!

Now to my options. I have had a good look around and have come up with the following list of potentials for the time being based mainly on cost (sub £100 bracket) and other recommendations so any feedback on these options in particular is of interest:

1: Ferrodo DS2500 - rated very highly by a friend who races an e30 325i in terms of stopping power, fell/progression/modulation but some worries about life.
2: Ferrodo DS3000
3: Mintex 1144
4: Mintex 1177

I must point out that I have already discounted any of EBC and Black Diamond products based purely on bad feedback I have come across repeatedly elsewhere but any other options will be gladly looked at  :smiley:.

Thanks in advance.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline DOA

• I live here

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Re: Track pad recomendations
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2012, 21:17 »
I am running Mintex 1155 on the starlet and they are awesome mixed with CRN discs
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2012, 21:28 »
Its alright, I went with the DS2500's in the end but thanks for the heads up. Thus far I have only bedded them in and done a single 15min track session at a rather too damp to test the brakes Mallory so I cant give a conclusive report but they certainly felt progressive towards lockup when bedding them in and were not too sharp in the damp. Going to try and make mallory again in a couple of weeks if I get the suspension changed over the weekend so may report more then.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2012, 00:26 »
2500 and 1155 are relatively the same pads.. if using the right disc and fluid combination my friends struggle to cook them in their RS's and Skylines so should be great in a golf.. I can lock the wheels up very easy in my starlet so ive learnt to be progressive
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2012, 14:52 »
standard ones are the best aren't they?  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2012, 23:30 »
standard ones are the best aren't they? 

Not a lot wrong with them, as discussed previously, especially in 280mm configuration and if you don't buy cheap sh*t and call it 'standard'.

As per Fangio - brakes are no good.  They only slow you down.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2012, 09:45 »
I've run DS3000's and Mintex 1177's on my track car and found them absolutely amazing.

I found DS2500's were good as a fast road pad, but wouldn't hold up to extreme track use and long sessions, a 10 minute session was enough to kill them typically.

Ds3000's eat discs though, and the life isn't great, so if it's a car that's used on the road a lot then 2500's are probably a safer bet.

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2012, 21:35 »
As per Fangio - brakes are no good.  They only slow you down.

Fangio obviously didnt understand weight transfer and tyre temperature control then and the vehicles of the day hardly compare to those of today in terms of driving style requirement........ Being kind to the brakes may be swift in a safe fashion but it will not win you the race over a good hard braking driver (for good, read capable of not just locking everywhere!) in a competitive race series.

I found DS2500's were good as a fast road pad, but wouldn't hold up to extreme track use and long sessions, a 10 minute session was enough to kill them typically.

The DS2500's lasted a full double header race weekend at Silverstone and survived a following trackday at Oulton on a friends E30 325 with no ill effects or fade though admittedly had very little life left after that and had started cracking...... That is a very hard driven and successful circuit racer though. As things stand the car is only really going to be used at Curborough and possibly Three sisters this year so long sessions are not a worry. After that I will decide where to go with the car though looking at the competition in the class I have entered, its not looking too good for the old golf in its current form and the ABF I have in the garage for it may not be up to scratch either as that would put me into a class I just cant afford to compete in....... First event at the weekend  :smiley:, should let me know where to go next  :lipsrsealed:.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2012, 21:37 by DOA »