Author Topic: Rust rust rust  (Read 7222 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Rust rust rust
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2011, 00:28 »
From reading my history ive got advisories from last 2 years for 'corroded' inner and outer sills.. is this a mission of a job or could average joe do it ??

Woh..... could have been easier and way cheaper to fix when first advised.  A lot can happen in 2 years, especially when it comes to rust and even worse in area's like that.  :lipsrsealed:

Depends how bad it is.. usually this kind of corrosion requires welding, especially if left this long.

Offline daniel-1986

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2011, 08:29 »
top of my rear suspension turret

Nasty, that needs welding.

the other arch is on its way out now so gettin a new car instead as it will cost a fortune to hav done

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2011, 11:44 »
^^^^ not necessarily.. You should get a quote at least.  The right person could do it for a good price and cheaper than a new car... what would you do with this one if you got a new one? 

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #23 on: 16 February 2011, 11:51 »
I didn't own it 2 Years ago.. Yer I know it will need welding but just curious on how hard it will be and if I could attempt it
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2011, 11:55 »
I didn't own it 2 Years ago.. Yer I know it will need welding but just curious on how hard it will be and if I could attempt it

If you have the gear and can weld then yeah i'd say so... not the hardest area to do.. depends how bad it is, get some pics up for peeps to see maybe, for a better idea?

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2011, 13:06 »
Well it only done 1500 miles between mot's so hopefully not to bad. Will upload pics when I see the state if the corrosion.

Offline daniel-1986

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2011, 17:53 »
^^^^ not necessarily.. You should get a quote at least.  The right person could do it for a good price and cheaper than a new car... what would you do with this one if you got a new one? 

my mate cud do it as he used to be a coachbuilder, but ive had the car for 4 yrs in march and want a new one now plus need a car with better mpg as altho it being a 1.3 struggles to get over 30mpg at times. i aint decided wat to do with it yet but the suspension will be replaced with the standard height suspension

Offline emery1990

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2011, 19:06 »
It does look pretty hard to do, but been told by a few people it isnt that hard, just got to know how to weld, which only takes practice. You can buy the inner sill from here http://www.vwh2o.com/vw.cfm?act=page.render&pageID=756&lang=EN&country=GB&pageToLoad=2 then need  an outersill.

I'm just scared of attacking my car with a grinder!

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 16 February 2011, 22:21 »
Seen quite a few syncro's with corrosion through the rear strut area.

Its cheaper to hand it to a bodyshop than to do it yourself I found.
Quality products are expensive. You can end up doubling your costs and time.
:)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #29 on: 16 February 2011, 22:44 »
anyone know where to get a outer mk2 sill ??