Author Topic: PPF-anybody had it fitted??  (Read 1728 times)

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
PPF-anybody had it fitted??
« on: 09 July 2020, 18:05 »
Having PPF fitted to the front end,doors and rear arches at the end of the month.
Has anybody had any experience,views,opinions-good or bad?

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
Re: PPF-anybody had it fitted??
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2020, 22:20 »
yep, i had front end, mirrors, side sills all done. It's saved me going into the paint shop couple of times,

someone caught my bumper once, came out, wiped with a microfibre and marks were gone, and 2nd time after an attempted car jacking, it got involved on same side and it's saved paint work.

I use the m25 every day going to work, my previous car was stone chip galore, but now on this, nothing.

just have be careful when washing it not to get up too close and catch the edges, but whoever is doing it will give aftercare info, i think it's worth it
Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2020, 19:52 »
I think it’s worth it-in certain areas,the build quality on my Mk 7 is not as good as my previous Mk 5.
The bodywork seems wafer thin and I reckon it’ll chip like buggery,I also do a lot of motorway miles.
Wow,an attempted car jacking-that’s mad!

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2020, 22:39 »
I think it’s worth it-in certain areas,the build quality on my Mk 7 is not as good as my previous Mk 5.
The bodywork seems wafer thin and I reckon it’ll chip like buggery,I also do a lot of motorway miles.
Wow,an attempted car jacking-that’s mad!

yep, was a scary moment

Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2020, 12:24 »
I've had mine down too. Definitely worth it and helps when using it daily to protect it from our crappy roads.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2020, 13:54 »
I haven't had it fitted and always managed to keep my cars fairly stone chip free. I tend to drive a way off people on the motorway/ \A roads and only suffer maybe 1 or 2 chips a year at most.

However, my 19 plate GTI has been obliterated in only 15 months. 20+ chips to the front end, some quite large. I haven't changed my driving habits and I drive the same commute/ roads, so its either the paint is thinner from VW or our roads are getting worse.

Either way I think its getting to the point of being necessary if your wanting to keep your car looking good. I will be having it applied on whatever new car I get next.
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2020, 15:14 »
However, my 19 plate GTI has been obliterated in only 15 months. 20+ chips to the front end, some quite large. I haven't changed my driving habits and I drive the same commute/ roads, so its either the paint is thinner from VW or our roads are getting worse.

Either way I think its getting to the point of being necessary if your wanting to keep your car looking good. I will be having it applied on whatever new car I get next.

There's circa 40% less paint on the newer cars. See the comments made by my detailer when he evaluated and protected my car at the start of 2019:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=284610.0

Having said that, I'm 13,000 miles in (mainly long high speed motorway journeys) and I have only managed, touch wood, to pick up one tiny stone chip.

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2020, 15:57 »
^ You can tell when you get a stone chip how thin the paint really is these days. It also seems to vary between different colours. They put as little on as they can get away with. My Red Polo GTI had thinner paint than the wife's white Polo GTI, presumably because the red paint is more opaque so less needs to go on.

My A4's Manhattan Grey metallic paint is over twice as thick as the red Polo's paint job.

Thinner paint doesn't just mean more paint chips down to the metal, it means you're more likely to get a small stone dent.

PPF would be the way forward if it wasn't so expensive. When it's as dear as getting a bonnet respray, what's the point of getting PPF?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2020, 16:24 »

PPF would be the way forward if it wasn't so expensive. When it's as dear as getting a bonnet respray, what's the point of getting PPF?

Agreed it's not cheap but it's definitely more long term and will last longer than awaiting the next stone to fly up after having it resprayed.