Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169255 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #900 on: 09 July 2020, 20:22 »
Stolen from Facebook, side by side 7.5 and 8 GTI

https://flic.kr/p/2jjEhX8

https://flic.kr/p/2jjJsmQ
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #901 on: 09 July 2020, 20:32 »
Stolen from Facebook, side by side 7.5 and 8 GTI

https://flic.kr/p/2jjEhX8

https://flic.kr/p/2jjJsmQ

Sorry, but I just don’t like the large wide mouth grille or the T-Roc rear end on the mk8. IMO the mk7.5 is a much nicer looking car - especially when you see them side by side.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #902 on: 09 July 2020, 22:25 »
Hard to see much on two black ones but i still don't see the hate...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #903 on: 09 July 2020, 23:16 »
it looks like two different cars from front pic to back pic. Bit Scirocco from the front and polo t-roc from the back. It's not nasty but it certainly isn't a looker either.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #904 on: 09 July 2020, 23:36 »

Red seems one of the best colours so far but that front end, as mcmaddy says, it's no looker, but that's not hate! For me, if I'm going to spend £30k+ on anything, especially a car, it has to make me want to and so far the MK8 is falling short. I'm sure it will drive well but that's not enough.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #905 on: 10 July 2020, 10:20 »
Those new pics of the Black, The outside could grow on me, front end not too bad, back i actually quite like , but its the interior i just dont know if i would get used to it...
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #906 on: 10 July 2020, 19:36 »

Red seems one of the best colours so far but that front end, as mcmaddy says, it's no looker, but that's not hate! For me, if I'm going to spend £30k+ on anything, especially a car, it has to make me want to and so far the MK8 is falling short. I'm sure it will drive well but that's not enough.

Not sure any of the competition win any beauty prizes either though.

Unless you are going to build your own, it looks like the latest pedestrian safety directives yield one front end shape....

I'm still in the market for a new car btw  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #907 on: 11 July 2020, 19:45 »
Hi All

August edition of Car Magazine dropped through my letter box and thought I would share a few snippets from article where they drive the ID3 and Golf GTI (they also ride in GTE)

“Even more complex is the Travel Assist feature which is stepping stone towards fully autonomous driving (and which is also fitted to UK Golf GTIs)

“And unlike some markets, the Mk8 Golf GTI will come to the UK fitted with a good level of standard equipment including 18inch wheels,those signature five-spot fog lamps and LED matrix headlights. “

Looks like they hand timed the DSG 0-62 and got 5.9secs (and end of article the info box suggests it is 6.2)

“Few physical buttons remain. ESP off? Take a deep dive into the relevant sub-menu. Dampers into Sport? Ditto.
Unfortunately these - and other regularly used functions- cannot yet be addressed by the ‘Hello Volkswagen’ voice control system. Which is idiosyncrasy in itself, because VW swapped the widely accepted conventional controls for advanced future-generation ergonomics before the chips had completed their ripening process”

“No, it’s the latest Golf GTI that really shows where VW’s true talents currently rest. Just as it should be looking long in the tooth and irrelevant, this most iconic of VWs is more compelling than ever”

They seemed to like the driving experience and think it’s a step forward. Sorry, I hope you like the snippets but I can’t rewrite it all. Everything between “” is verbatim from the magazine so don’t shoot the messenger

Article also estimates a price of £33k, I think it’ll be more like £34k

On sale: Autumn. ( but as Fredgroves has pointed out unlikely to see one on uk road until after Christmas)

On a couple of the photos the big open mouth grill doesn’t look too bad.... but then on other photos there is no disguising it. I don’t actually mind the headlights but the lower grill really pushes it beyond what I can like.

We await some full reviews and to see it in the metal
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #908 on: 11 July 2020, 20:54 »
Maybe if the GTI had a lower grille design similar to what is expected on the production version of the R it would be better.

Plus, if the front number plate was to be mounted lower down on the bumper so it extended into the upper section of the lower grille (provided it didn’t impede airflow to the a/c condenser and radiator), I think that might also improve the looks.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #909 on: 11 July 2020, 22:09 »
What's the problem with the lower grille?

Mk6 GTi wore a huge black plastic grin and nobody batted an eyelid  :undecided:
7.5 GTD