Author Topic: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion  (Read 8204 times)

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: 4 Wheel Drive Conversion
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2010, 19:59 »
Just buy a pair of winter tyres for the front wheels and shut up already....  I got mine for £240.

Rolfe.

Okay okay, Rolfe !
Which ones did you go for?

I just asked my garage man to fit winter tyres when the car had its first service a week ago.  I had to insist a bit, he was unconvinced when I made the request in October and suggested he might source some and fit them later, but I didn't want to take the car back a second time so I stuck to my guns.  It was also his idea just to do the front wheels.

So it turned out that I needed new front tyres anyway, so it was pretty much cost neutral, or will be till March.  I just took what I was given, but I note the tyres read "Hankook Icebear".  I don't know what more a "premium brand" could have delivered, quite honestly.  And I know the rear of the car is likely to lose grip and swing out if I corner to fast on snow, so I don't do it.

Frankly, compared to the original Bridgestones in similar conditions eleven months ago, it's like having caterpillar tracks.

Rolfe.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 20:02 by Rolfe »

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2010, 20:00 »
Double post.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2010, 20:57 »
Audi make or use to make last year an A3 with the better version of the EA888 GTI engine in it with Heldex.
Conversion is alot of work, floorpan, rear subframe, prop, gearbox, electronics etc etc,
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.