Author Topic: Engine swap drive shaft compatability??  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Matt-K

• Just got here
Engine swap drive shaft compatability??
« on: 19 April 2013, 22:38 »
Hi all, im new to the vw world and have just got myself an 82 Mk1 out a barn (pics to follow), its currently fitted with a 2ltr audi kjet engine (same as original 1.8 basically) but im pretty keen on fitting something with a lot more ooomph. I understand that engine mounts will have to be adapted in some way but want to know how ill get on with the drive shaft compatability etc? Do VWs use the same set up on a lot of engines, can i just bolt the mk1 gear box to say a 2ltr 20v turbo or will the 20v gearbox fit with mk1 shafts. Another favorite of mine is the Honda type r but im guessing i would basically need the entire honda front end bolting under the mk1 body to make that work.
Please educate me a little!
Cheers, Matt.

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
Re: Engine swap drive shaft compatability??
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2013, 21:03 »
Hi mate here is a few bit I was looking at for a 1.8t conversion, better off sticking off with a vag engine.

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=modifications-and_2%2Fagu-1-8-20v-basic-price

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=modifications-and_2%2F1-8t-conversion-guide_2

The mk1 site has loads of info including different engine conversions.  :smiley:

Offline Matt-K

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2013, 21:04 »
Thanks for the reply, can anyone tell me if a Skoda VR-S engine is the same fitment?
Cheers.

Offline James I

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2013, 21:34 »
Is it possible to put a MK 3 ABF 2.0 16v engine and box in a MK I?   

Offline jonrandom

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2013, 08:45 »
Thanks for the reply, can anyone tell me if a Skoda VR-S engine is the same fitment?
Cheers.

Yeah there in the vag group.

Is it possible to put a MK 3 ABF 2.0 16v engine and box in a MK I?   

Yeah its been done a fair few times do a search on mk1 golf owners club or cgti should come up with some info