Author Topic: Cleaning exhaust..  (Read 4582 times)

Offline admc6

• I live here
Cleaning exhaust..
« on: 13 October 2008, 16:32 »
Whats good to make your exhaust all shinny again?

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Cleaning exhaust..
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2008, 16:35 »
I used to use metal polish. Used to come up a treat! :cool:

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2008, 17:47 »
Don't know. I've tried wire wool pads which some people swear by but didn't have enough of an effect. When I get a chance later this week, I'm gonna use some degreaser along with the wirewool, then switching to a scrubbing sponge (the kind you use for washing up), then switching to its sponge side and finishing with an MF cloth.

I hope it'll be enough!

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2008, 20:13 »
As my exhaust is nowt special, I just use fine wire wool and WD-40, which its looking "good-ish". If you want better:

"Belgom Alu is a liquid cream for polishing alloy, chrome, brass, etc. It is supplied in bottles containing 250mls. Belgom Alu is less abrasive than most other polishes and will not, therefore, remove detail from castings or damage paintwork adjacent to polished areas. White aluminium oxide deposits or other corrosion are dissolved chemically by Belgom Alu - this is far more effective and more gentle than using abrasives. Once the oxidation is dissolved the polish rapidly shines the metal surfaces. At the same time as polishing, Belgom Alu is also laying down a protective wax layer which will prevent moisture or salt spray reaching the metal surface for a considerable time. It is found that in regular winter use a bike may be ridden uncleaned for six weeks or so after polishing with Belgom Alu without metal surfaces corroding."

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=110

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2008, 22:45 »
autosol or brass-OOOOOO   :grin:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline jamie_pyrite

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2008, 23:23 »
I use autoglym metal polish, but when that runs out I'll be getting some autosol.

I have a standard exhaust system, so no stainless. I'll start by spraying it with a pretty strong mix of wheel cleaning solution inside the pile and on the outside of it throughout the process of washing the car. Now and then I'll just take 20 seconds to give it a hit with the wheel cleaner and do that maybe.. 5 times.

Then I'll pressure wash it down at the end. I'll start with wire wool if I have some to hand, if not I use one of those green abrasive pads you find in the kitchen with some polish. After a while with that, I'll finish it off with the metal polish and a J Cloth or just one of those yellow polishing cloths. No point using microfibres on an exhaust!

I'll usually do the first couple of inches inside the tailpipe too. I can remove the carbon in a couple of minutes using the above process and it makes it look 10x better. I don't do many miles so the carbon has barely built back up by the time I wash it again :)

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2008, 09:46 »
Thank you all for your ideas. I have some autosol at home, so will give that a whirl first

Offline richard s

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2008, 20:01 »
i used to use 3m fast cut plus compound at work and it was quite good at removing thick layers

kells

« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2008, 20:44 »
you just need autosol

if its real bad coz your a lazy twit then it may take a few goes...but it will work

unless its a cheep exhaust trim with a chrome coating/finish , which has been left so long its oxydised with the weather etc... then your fecked really

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2008, 22:24 »
i use meguirs metal polish