Author Topic: idiots machine polishing guide needed!  (Read 3548 times)

Offline ady365d

• Not said much yet
idiots machine polishing guide needed!
« on: 19 August 2008, 21:53 »
Right looking to get hold of a machine polisher , whats best rotary or d/a? iv seen a few cheap kits on ebay but how good are they really ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110280224147&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

my next question is regarding polished alloys , iv got some small polishing pads and drill type mandrel, in the kit i got some kinda wax stuff is this what you use for polishing un polished ally if you know what i mean , as i also have some belgom alu my wheels are already polished to would i be ok using the belgom and the little pads to keep up the shine and protect them or do i need to use the wax also??

any suggestions appreciated !!
]

Offline SteveP

• I live here
Re: idiots machine polishing guide needed!
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2008, 22:19 »
If your not experienced with rotary polishers (like me) then you will probably me best considering a Dual action machine like the Megs G220 to start with as these are easier to use and are much safer on the paint work.

These are quite a bit more expensive than the ebay machines but I defiantly think you will get what you pay for on this.

I recently invested in some detailing kit including the Megs G220 machine after taking some advise from the likes of Guy and 182_blue, gave it a try at the weekend and was very impressed with the results.

I am sure the resident experts will be along shortly to answer the rest of your questions.  :smiley:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2008, 10:31 »
you get what you pay for... if something looks too good to be true then it usually is... etc etc

i have no experience of the polisher or pads in question but all that for £39... something steeenks

if it is like anything else in the car detailing world then quality materials are always worth the investment

I have the megs 220 DA and have been very pleased with it.... brave is the noob who goes straight for rotary

---------------------

your question about wheels is a little confusing... if you are just asking about the belgom (good polish btw) then that is ok on it's own... but you will find yourself polishing your rims quite often... I have polished rims and use poorboys wheel wax and now all it takes is some mild soapy water (bilt hamber) and a gentle wheel mop to keep them shiny bright  :cool:

NewGolf

« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2008, 13:14 »
Rotary+No Rotary Experiance= Respray required.  :embarassed:

Offline RiCHiE360

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2008, 14:21 »
A good quality Rotary will give you excellent results but only if used correctly or if you spend time working on scrap panels pracatcing!
I personaly use the Porter cable but would reccomened getting the G220 after seeing results of this machine.

As said use the belgom by hand to get the finish then protect with a good quality wax, PB's is very good.

Roofless VR6 FTW

Offline k4ith

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2008, 19:57 »
I bought a Pc from the states when the dollar was very favourable and have started using it recently with some good results.I was concerned about using a rotary incase i damaged the paint work.Quality of products is also a thing to take into consideration.
MKV Golf GTI Edition30, GIAC Pump&Race Map, AutoTech Fuel Pump, R32 Front Brakes, Dbilas Flo-master Intake, S3 Intercooler.ECS Dog Bone Insert.
MKII GTI 8v Tornado Red 88 - Das Projekt

Offline ady365d

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2008, 22:15 »
cheers for the info guys , i have used a rotary a few times before and didn't have too much trouble , the paint on my car is really bad and really could do with a full rub down and blow over , i just thought untill i could afford it , trying to make the best of whats there ! saw the cheap ebay thing and it got me thinking!!what kinda compounds , renovaters ect would i need with either machine , tempted by the megs220 aswell gets a good write up!
]

Offline MrTurner

• I live here
  • Facelift leon cupra
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2008, 13:17 »
A Friend of mine has used a PC for quite a while.  He purchased a rotary which he used on another freinds car  :undecided:

The rotary was quite quickly sold on after that  :grin:

I'm taking my Golf to yet another friend (they're all real I promise  :smiley:) who has a PC and a rotary.  I'm going to see if I can get my mate (the one whose paint got burned) to bring his G220 over so I can have a go on all 3 machines and see which suits me best.  I'm very wary of a rotary, but this one is meant to be very easy to use, and I'll get to try before I buy!!

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2008, 13:59 »
cheers for the info guys , i have used a rotary a few times before and didn't have too much trouble , the paint on my car is really bad and really could do with a full rub down and blow over , i just thought untill i could afford it , trying to make the best of whats there ! saw the cheap ebay thing and it got me thinking!!what kinda compounds , renovaters ect would i need with either machine , tempted by the megs220 aswell gets a good write up!

I was recommended this by the helpful experts on here - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit/prod_220.html

I have just started to use them with the Megs G220 and have been very impressed with the result on my MK5 ED30 and a very old and swirly Rover.  :smiley:

Offline andy_vdub

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2008, 11:50 »
I personally have been using a rotary for a long time now, and i regret to say it was a cheap flea bay thing. But ive never used the pads that came with it, they went pretty much straight in the bin and i headed down to my local paint supplier and bought a selection of 3M pads. Ive never had any problems with burning paint etc, but im guessing alot of people who use them dont know what there doing.
As for compounds, ive always used 3M products too.
If im using it on fresh paint or a car that is faded or has scratches and swirls in, i use 3G which is fairly corse, and then for a glass like finish i use 3M finesse followed by hand glaze (which is obviously done by hand) the results are staggering!