Author Topic: engine bays  (Read 2073 times)

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
Re: engine bays
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2011, 23:02 »
very nice bay mate is that just normal silcone u used as fuel pipe
Thanks, the pics is a bit old, quite a bit has changed since that pic was taken. In that pic the fuel lines are standard hose, normal silicon hoses will not work it will break down when it comes in contact with oil/fuel, the normal silicon hoses aren't reinforced to handle pressurised fuel. The blue silicon hose your looking at is the coolant line. I've got braided fuel lines fitted now.

Offline turbomick

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2011, 23:07 »
so really then mate wen u get a bit off oil from turbo in the silicone pipes will it damage the or do u mean actually using them for that purpuse

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2011, 23:15 »
A bit of oil vapour in silicon hose isn't too much a problem - carrying pressurised oil/fuel constantly is totally different and will make the hose break down that much quicker so I suppose you could use normal silicon hoses and change them every few days but it just stands to reason that its safer to use silicon hoses that are designed to carry fuel/oil. As I said before oil and fuel will break down standard silicon hoses that aren't designed to carry oil/fuel. There are all types of silicon hoses, oil, fuel, boost, coolant, vacuum and normal bog standard single layer non-reinforced. You also get straights, flexi and superflexi, different hose for a different application.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2011, 23:20 by rockmonkey69 »

Offline turbomick

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2011, 23:23 »
cheers for info pal u got any ideas about my other topics

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2011, 23:46 »
Sent a PM, didn't want to change topic on this thread.

There's some nice engine bay pics over on vortex forum:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4148896-Official-Big-Turbo-Engine-Bay-Thread!

Offline Mrwebster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2011, 23:52 »
« Last Edit: 19 February 2011, 23:54 by Mrwebster »
Golf GTI turbo (230hp)  mx5 / eunos roadster 120bhp Reliant rialto modified (49hp)

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2011, 13:07 »
northeastgti had one of the tidiest engine bays on here which is what Rhyso has posted up.

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2011, 15:16 »
Browsing through vortex gets me depressed with the amount of time and money spent on engine bay dressing there it makes mine look utter poo poo and it certainly don't help when you get used to seeing engine bays like this all the time.

I've managed to buy a polished intake manifold:

But it seems it needs quite a bit more work to be perfect, there's some slight pitting and swirl marks when looked at close enough in the right angle under good lighting in one or two areas, hopefully it should polish out without having to work down a grade.
Also managed to source a smoothed AGN valve cover which I need to send off for professional polishing and I've started polishing a spare fuel rail by hand. I'll swap it all over and move my battery to boot when I rebuild the block with forged rods.
Only thing I need after that is a big top mounted turbo at the back of the engine bay to fill that space  :sick: