Author Topic: 5k rev limit???  (Read 3340 times)

Offline KMW

• Not said much yet
5k rev limit???
« on: 29 August 2011, 13:28 »
Wonder if someone can help.

I recently bought a mk3 GTI 8 valve and it will only rev to 5k then its like its bouncing off the limiter, seems to run fine apart from this.

Thought it could be the Hall sensor but I've read so much conflicting stories Im really confused now!

Whats the cheapest fix for this a, new / recon distributor or a new sensor and where would I buy either?  :huh:

Thanks in advance,

KMW

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: 5k rev limit???
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2011, 22:34 »
Check the timing as a first step, the 5k rev limit is usually the engine going into 'safe mode' because the timing is out. If this doesn't solve it then it could well be the hall sensor, it was on my Mk3. For ease I bought a reconditioned dizzy with a new hall sensor on it, this solved the problem for me :smiley:

Offline KMW

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2011, 22:43 »
The cars got a brand new dizzy cap and rotor arm but there's no signs of the dizzy being disturbed so would the timing be out?
Could the new parts be at fault and how do you time these beasties?

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2011, 13:01 »
Need to get the timing belt checked, one tooth out can do it!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline gti gaz

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2011, 21:02 »
i do belive if you disconnect batt for about  ten min then reconect it should clear sounds like ecu kicking in from finding some form or fault

Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2011, 14:29 »
timing is out...!  Get the machanical timing checked (crank/cam) and setup, then the ignition timing set correctly (dizzy) and away you go.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.