Author Topic: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti  (Read 7032 times)

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
Strange problem with Mk3 Gti
« on: 21 August 2011, 21:01 »
Hi,

I'm new to this site and VW altogether.

I have a problem as the car won't start after my wife went out in the car this morning, alarm keeps going off and only stops if I disconnect the alarm siren. Indicators blink on and off intermitantly when the car is left and locked. I have disconnected the battery for about half an hour to see if that would sort it out but it didn't make any difference. The car will bump and I can hear the fuel pump priming but I don't know what it can be.

Any help greatly appreciated as I need the car for work in the morning !!!!

Regards
Kev

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2011, 21:05 »
unfortunately sounds like either an immobiliser problem or a ecu problem chances of sorting for the morning is unlikely have you got a standard alarm system or aftermarket?

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2011, 21:34 »
Hi Dragongreengolfgti,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if it's a standard or aftermarket.

I've only had it just over a week and it's only happened today for the first time.

As you say I won't get it fixed tonight but any help to what and how to check is much appreciated.

Regards
Kev

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2011, 21:47 »
I had better say before someone else does have you introduced yourself to the new members board first as they do get funny on here and thats probably why you havn't had so many replys. secondly all i can say is you need to plug it into vag-com and check for codes first as that will give you a good indication as to your problem hopefully.

1.does the car fire over ?
2.is the battery going dead?

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2011, 21:52 »
Thanks for the heads up.

The engine doesn't even attempt to turn over and as far as I know the battery is fully charged as it was ok yesterday.

Regards
Kev

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2011, 21:56 »
well im pretty sure your looking at an immobiliser problem then what engine is yours and year i may have a complete set and ecu you can have  :smiley:

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2011, 22:00 »
It's a 1996 and AGG  :cool:

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2011, 22:08 »
thats what i have im breaking its a 1996 agg p reg you will have to get the code off your ecu which is under the scuttle panel i can give you the ecu, immobiliser box, key, car door locks and the ring around the ignition switch for £25 delivered that should sort you out firstly though i'd recommend a vag-com check which you can either buy off ebay as a disk and usb cable to obd2 port for about £7+ or a hand held machine which i have for £20 plus  :smiley:

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2011, 22:13 »
Cheers for that.

I will check fleabay for the disc and cable and will let you know if I need anything.

So I take it you have two gti's by the photo's.

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2011, 22:19 »
i have 3 at the mo i have a black 5 door 8v gti which is where the kit would come off i have the green one in the first picture which i crashed last christmas on black ice also a 8v and now my pride and joy in the second pic 16v gti which is my little project. I'm looking to sell after xmas though as im after something abit faster and track worthy  :smiley: