Author Topic: Factory Glass Tints  (Read 5282 times)

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
Factory Glass Tints
« on: 16 February 2016, 20:28 »
Anyone know the exact level of tint a MK3 GTI came out of the factory with?

From what I've read, the general consensus (or assumption) is factory standard tint for any manufacturer/model is 70%.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Factory Glass Tints
« Reply #1 on: 16 February 2016, 20:30 »
Anyone know the exact level of tint a MK3 GTI came out of the factory with?

From what I've read, the general consensus (or assumption) is factory standard tint for any manufacturer/model is 70%.
you might find its 30% as legally they need to let 70% of the light through but these rules are new and the mk3 is not so I may be wrong  :smiley:

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2016, 20:35 »
you might find its 30% as legally they need to let 70% of the light through but these rules are new and the mk3 is not so I may be wrong  :smiley:

yes sorry, that's what i meant of course, 70% light through so 30% tint.

I'm aware of the legality's, but just wondering if the factory tint is definitely 30%

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2016, 11:17 »
I reckon it's lower than that. The tint level on new mk7 GTI rear windows is a lot darker than the mk3 ever was and that is 65% (or 35% if you look it at the other way around).

(and you can spec 90% tint from the factory)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2016, 13:20 »
I reckon it's lower than that. The tint level on new mk7 GTI rear windows is a lot darker than the mk3 ever was and that is 65% (or 35% if you look it at the other way around).

(and you can spec 90% tint from the factory)

Interesting info thanks.

I'm of course thinking about tinting my car this year; she's completely black inside and out, and gets very hot in summer. Ideally I'd like the fronts bang on 70% (legal) so i can go considerably darker in the rear, say 50% so the contrast doesn't look stupid.

So for arguments sake, if the fronts are 90% i could add a 20% film to achieve the 70%.

I spoke to a somewhat popular company today who said all the glass would have to come out, which seems mental and not really a road i want to go down. They also don't have the light measuring gauge, which i'd assume would be a standard (if not least well handy) tool to have, if you're in that trade.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2016, 18:15 by jimmydub »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2016, 16:44 »
the rear can be as dark as you want its the front 2 that have to let 70% of the light through I learned the hard way a good few years ago now when I had 2 muppets tell me to take the tints off at 2am or they would not let me drive any further  :grin: :grin:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2016, 17:15 »
Dark means light gets absorbed..... absorbed light equals heat (although depends if IR / near IR gets absorbed - cp shiny Al that gets scorching hot in sunlight). Sure you want to add more tint to your car windows to make it cooler in the summer? :p

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2016, 21:18 »
Dark means light gets absorbed..... absorbed light equals heat (although depends if IR / near IR gets absorbed - cp shiny Al that gets scorching hot in sunlight). Sure you want to add more tint to your car windows to make it cooler in the summer? :p

Ok fair point. but i'm pretty sure ALL types of tint exclude a percentage of IR and UV rays; which has gotta help. And at least the leather gets protected  :whistle: