Author Topic: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project  (Read 29627 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: 1991 Corrado G60 (Update 26/3)
« Reply #20 on: 30 March 2014, 15:07 »
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical MK1 bolt all the way TBF.  :lipsrsealed:
I've still got a brand new stretchy bolt somewhere, bought it before I knew DX bolt would fit like glove when I did my Rallye.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2014, 15:59 »
I'll double check, i'm sure its 10.9 grade on the bolt.

Edit - It is still a stretch bolt although vw only do an revised version that won't shear apparently.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2014, 19:08 by Gti_Jamo »

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline matt@onlychargeddubs

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 31 March 2014, 10:13 »
Yeah the new bolt has had the shearing problem sorted out.

So torque up as factory :smiley:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2014, 19:06 »
Yeah the new bolt has had the shearing problem sorted out.

So torque up as factory :smiley:

Yeh it's torqued up now. Hopefully it won't give me grief in the future. Might end up pinning the sprocket to the crank to spread the load a bit. I'll be ordering that oil feed just after midnight mate when monies are in bank.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Corrado G60 (Update 03/04)
« Reply #24 on: 03 April 2014, 17:17 »
Got my new oil feed pipe this afternoon from OnlyChargedDubs so fired it on and started her up. Initial impressions are all good, no excessive breather blow back or blue smoke. Engine sounds nice and smooth. No oil leaks but small water leak from the temp sensor flange on the front of the head but have a spare one if needed. Not put coolant in it yet. It is running very rich though, like off the scale so will need to spend some time getting it set up correctly but overall i'm very happy. Will post some pics and maybe a wee vid tomorrow hopefully.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Corrado G60 (Update 12/04)
« Reply #25 on: 12 April 2014, 19:35 »
Got my overfueling issue rectified, was the oxygen sensor in the end so all appears to be good now. Runs pretty sweet. Idles good.

Front mount back on. It's a tad on the large side and sits very tight in there.

Got some new strut-top mounts as the old ones had about an inch of side-to-side play in them. Removed the coilovers and found the adjusters to be seized solid and the helper springs broken so will need to see if I can free them off and run them without helpers or chuck them in the bin. Look like cheapies judging by the state of them.

Other dissapointing news is that the charger, which was advertised as a stage 3 is actually a stage 2 which was done 15 year ago (around 45k) so that's going to need done soon although still sounds good and boosts well enoug although yet to check exactly how much. Contacted JabbaSport directly to confirm this using the numbers stamped on the charger casing. Jabba don't even do stage 3's apparently, just 2 & 4's.

Other jobs needing doing is to fit a new bonnet cable as the old one snapped when removing it. Also need to refit interior as i removed it due to a leak which moves me onto resealing the door membranes as the final job.

Also needing to get it taxed and get a tyre fitted and it's good to go.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 (Update 18/04)
« Reply #26 on: 18 April 2014, 21:40 »
Well thats the G60 on the road now. So far so good!! No smoke out the back or any oil leaks and no piston detonation lol. Runs spot on.

Need to find some standard rear lights as those things aren't my cup of tea. Also some better coillies as one of mine has some lateral play in it. Some bigger wheels or g60 steels.

Still got the carpets out as need to make it leak proof but at least it's working and on the road. Good weather for it too.

Basically from here forward will be used quite a bit over summer and after then will no doubt rip the engine out again and paint the bay. Refurbish everything underneath. Just aim to make it as best as it can be but still retain originality as this will be a proper collectable car soon enough. Original reg number going back on and the private one going back to previous owner. I'm not really a fan of them to be fair.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 (Update 18/04)
« Reply #27 on: 23 April 2014, 16:54 »
Developed a misfire at idle and medium throttle once warmed up. The blue temp sensor resistance is around 300 ohms at 80 degrees which is about right. Disconnecting it cures the misfire and revs increase. Also runs relatively fine with the lambda sensor disconnected. It's only a couple of weeks old but not a genuine bosch so i'm thinking it's dead already. It's not chucking out black smoke with it connected like it was doing with previous lambda, So it's either the blue temp or lambda i'm sure, or wiring related so will need to investigate it further.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2014, 17:19 by Gti_Jamo »

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2014, 20:52 »
Not much of an update just a couple of pics. Have done very little to it bar drive it 4500 trouble free miles since I disconnected lambda sensor. Was cheap and failed real quick but goes fine without it for now.

As you can see i've replaced the nasty red/clear rear lights (someone paid me 50 actual pounds on ebay for them) with standard ones and it looks much more original.

Engine has been using a bit of oil but was expected and will be sorted over winter. Windscreen cracked in both top corners and some rot behind there too. Plan to paint the whole car over winter too but the screen is top priority as mot is due soon.

Also note I still have the private plate on. Previous owner said the retention docs were sent ages ago (April) but dvla tell me otherwise so had to take matters into my own hands and sent of a v62 application for the log book so the plate will be also transferred to me. Not sure why the delays as it's in their best interest surely but i'm within my rights to take ownership of it.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: 1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2014, 14:10 »
With MOT time approaching my plans were to just put the Corrado off the road until till next year but been enjoying running it so much I thought i might aswell just keep using it.

How she looks just now.

Anyway, first of the 'big' jobs. Ruined windscreen.

Got myself a bonded screen removal tool off ebay which turned out to be a pile of brown sugar and broke litterally after a couple of pulls so resorted to having to go round the inside with a stanley knife as much as I could around the top and both sides then kicking the hooor out. Worth pointing out i've not covered anything. Well I have no carpets in just now and the paintwork is past its best and will be getting redone. But remember, goggles and heavy duty gloves.

Then went round the frame with a soft chisel and a rubber mallet.

Knew i had some rust issues and this is what I have to deal with.

One sides totally rotten while the others not too bad.

The other job taking second priority is my crushed sill. What was originally a hole about an inch or two in diameter turned into this. Hence why the wings off.

Obviously needs to be a good job as it's on display so my metal fabrication skills will be tested on both here and the screen frame.

Not much else needing done for MOT, drivers window is held up with a block of 2 x 4, no bonnet cable fitted either.

Will update as it progresses.