Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529875 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #700 on: 31 July 2016, 21:41 »
Looking superb Watts.  :cool:  Great reflections and gloss. 

Enjoying the wax finish then.  You could always just use the C2v3 on the wheels on a monthly basis, and regularly on the glass.  That's all I use C2 for.  Not impressed with it on paintwork, doesn't match up to a wax finish IMO, but fine for wheels and windscreen/other glass.

Thanks for that, a bit of a change though since I bought the wax for the wheels and the C2v3 for the bodywork! Good idea though and I think that's what I'll do :smiley:

Must do a decontamination soon as I can feel particles embedded in the paint. Problem is though presumably I'll need a machine polish afterwards and I haven't got one. Not sure about investing in one as I'll be enthusiastic to start but soon lose interest :rolleyes:

C2 much better for wheels than wax. Nice slick finish.  Great on glass too and no wiper judder.

If you are doing a full decontamination, one that includes claying, I strongly advise you follow it with a DA polish. No matter how careful, claying is a process that commonly leaves some marring, quite normal, and a DA polish will get rid of marring no problem at all.  Plus the other obvious benefits of having a DA for any correction work or paint refinement.  I wouldn't worry about losing early enthusiasm as, apart from B pillars, you should only be looking to polish one or twice a year.  Get a DA.  :evil:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #701 on: 31 July 2016, 22:01 »
Looking superb Watts.  :cool:  Great reflections and gloss. 

Enjoying the wax finish then.  You could always just use the C2v3 on the wheels on a monthly basis, and regularly on the glass.  That's all I use C2 for.  Not impressed with it on paintwork, doesn't match up to a wax finish IMO, but fine for wheels and windscreen/other glass.

Thanks for that, a bit of a change though since I bought the wax for the wheels and the C2v3 for the bodywork! Good idea though and I think that's what I'll do :smiley:

Must do a decontamination soon as I can feel particles embedded in the paint. Problem is though presumably I'll need a machine polish afterwards and I haven't got one. Not sure about investing in one as I'll be enthusiastic to start but soon lose interest :rolleyes:

C2 much better for wheels than wax. Nice slick finish.  Great on glass too and no wiper judder.

If you are doing a full decontamination, one that includes claying, I strongly advise you follow it with a DA polish. No matter how careful, claying is a process that commonly leaves some marring, quite normal, and a DA polish will get rid of marring no problem at all.  Plus the other obvious benefits of having a DA for any correction work or paint refinement.  I wouldn't worry about losing early enthusiasm as, apart from B pillars, you should only be looking to polish one or twice a year.  Get a DA.  :evil:

What I thought, thanks. It's quite an investment though and would cost me a vase, maybe I can sell a kidney :shocked:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #702 on: 11 August 2016, 14:30 »
Given the Passat it long overdue post winter detox. When I say post winter, I mean winter 2013.  :embarrassed:

First off I sprayed the wheels, arches and lower parts of the car with Fenwicks bike cleaner, followed by a pressure washer muck shaving stage. Next I would usually snow foam, but this time completely against what felt right was a 2BM wash with G3 body prep shampoo. This stuff has amazing cleaning power and can also be used for wax stripping. There wasn't a bead of water on the car after this. The water just sat on it, the paint was about as naked as it could be.

Due to not having much time to do much more, I filled the snowfoam bottle up with AG shampoo and covered the whole car, leaving it to dwell for about 10 minutes before pressure washing off. The water was now beading and the following open hose rinse just sheeted it off cleanly. Drying was done using AG rapid detailer as an aid, buffed with a fluffy mf cloth, then tyres dressed to finish.

For the vast majority of the car driving public, the results were superb. I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was a relatively quick preparation ready for polishing and waxing. That might happen some time quite soon, as I quite like the old car again now.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #703 on: 11 August 2016, 17:44 »
Given the Passat it long overdue post winter detox. When I say post winter, I mean winter 2013.  :embarrassed:

First off I sprayed the wheels, arches and lower parts of the car with Fenwicks bike cleaner, followed by a pressure washer muck shaving stage. Next I would usually snow foam, but this time completely against what felt right was a 2BM wash with G3 body prep shampoo. This stuff has amazing cleaning power and can also be used for wax stripping. There wasn't a bead of water on the car after this. The water just sat on it, the paint was about as naked as it could be.

Due to not having much time to do much more, I filled the snowfoam bottle up with AG shampoo and covered the whole car, leaving it to dwell for about 10 minutes before pressure washing off. The water was now beading and the following open hose rinse just sheeted it off cleanly. Drying was done using AG rapid detailer as an aid, buffed with a fluffy mf cloth, then tyres dressed to finish.

For the vast majority of the car driving public, the results were superb. I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was a relatively quick preparation ready for polishing and waxing. That might happen some time quite soon, as I quite like the old car again now.

Nice to hear the Passat had some TLC.  But you forgot the pics.... :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #704 on: 11 August 2016, 18:46 »
You don't need pics of a silver Passat. Everyone knows what they look like. They are almost as common a sight as a 7R.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #705 on: 11 August 2016, 22:50 »
You don't need pics of a silver Passat. Everyone knows what they look like. They are almost as common a sight as a 7R.

In all honesty I hardly ever see any silver Passats, so.....I need the pics.  :tongue:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #706 on: 14 August 2016, 13:59 »
Bath Time!

Washed off the airport car park dirt and grime.  Sat for 2 weeks in Gatwick car park and then a week’s daily use at home left it pretty grubby.

Pre wash phase

Sprayed windscreen, bonnet and front with Auto Finesse Citrus Power Bug cleaner. 

Wheels sprayed with ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner.

Snow foam next – ValetPro Advanced Neutral

After a few mins dwelling

And snow foam rinsed off

Wheel wash with Swisswax Car Bath Shampoo, Wheel Woollies and WoWo Wheel mitt

2 bucket wash – SV Car Bath, WoWo and Lambswool mitt (no pics)

Pressure wash rinse followed by open ended hose rinse to leave mimiunum standing water

Dried with WoWo Drying Towels and Metrovac Vac n Blo air dryer.

Pre wash and main wash phase complete, moved onto final touches.  Finished off by polishing tailpipes with Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish, dressed tyres with Achem Hi Shine Longlife Tyre Dressing.  Removed a few stubborn marks on paintwork with Bouncers Done and Dusted QD.  Finally, gave the whole car a going over with Swissvax Quick Finish QD to add a bit of gloss and refresh the Swissvax Cystal Rock wax applied 3 weeks ago.

Cleaned up okay - results

[

Car is in need of a good decontamination and a DA polish though - as some residue that wouldn’t shift and there’s a line of bird footprints across the corner of the bonnet which are etched into the clearcoat!  Looking to do a full detail in Sept/Oct but will have to do until then.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2016, 14:49 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #707 on: 14 August 2016, 15:14 »
Geat pics as usual Rebecca and a few different views, which is nice to see :smiley:
I like the close up of the Pretoria with the wo-wo wheel mitt in particular.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #708 on: 14 August 2016, 15:58 »
Amazing job as ever, the glossy finish really is superb.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #709 on: 15 August 2016, 07:57 »
Cheers Kalimon and Watts.  It was good to get rid of the grime!

Does need a full detail now, when I get a spare 2 days to do it. Coming up for a year old 1st Oct so that can be it's birthday present.  :laugh:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual